University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Home
Contact Us
A-Z Sitemap
Print This Page

  
UWM Academic Affairs
Academic Program Planning and Review
Access to Success
Assessment and Institutional Research
Budget and Planning
Diversity and Climate
Faculty/Staff Programs
News and Events
Policies and Procedures
Research Support
  Accreditation  
  Active Learning Classrooms  
  UWM Planning Portal  
  Student Success Collaborative  
  Campus Space Planning  
  UW-Milwaukee's Digital Future  


Chancellor's Council on Inclusion

Chancellor’s Council on Inclusion
Meeting Minutes
August 25, 2005
2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Council Members Present:

Amy Batiste
Rita Cheng
Larry Martin
Joan Prince
Diane Amour
Simone Conceição
Beverly Cross
Nancy Frank
Anthony Hightower
Jim Hill
Ester Johnson
Sandra Jones
Phyllis King
Yves LaPierre
Sally Lundeen
Mary McCoy
Mary Roggeman
Ruth Russell
Erika Sander
Cathy Seasholes
Sarine Schmidt
Stan Stojkovic
Hahn Trinh
Dev Venugopalan
Gary Williams

I. Welcome and Introductions (Co-chairs)

Dr. Joan Prince is this month’s lead facilitator.


II. Council Logistics: <Joan>

Web Link is up and running
o All materials posted from previous meetings are available
o An e-mail reminder will be sent 1 week prior to meeting

Work Plan
o Co-Chairs are meeting once a month prior to council meeting
o May include an open campus meeting this semester, and again in Spring 2006

Agenda Item Placement
o Please notify co-chairs ahead of time
o Want to emphasize that council meetings are not for committee work

New Student Co-Chair
o Guillermo Cuautle has resigned
o A formal request for a replacement will be made to the Student Association

Fall Semester meeting dates
o Sept. 29th – Regent’s Room – Chapman Hall (Regents Room)
o Oct. 27th – Regent’s Room – Chapman Hall (Regents Room)
o Nov. 17th has been changed to December 1st :Location to be announced
o Time is still 2:00pm – 4:00pm

Ground rules for meetings:

The following ground rules were adopted as guidelines for meeting discussions.

  1. Debate the issue – not the person.
  2. The level of conversation should be above the individual case.
  3. Confidentiality is recognized and adhered to.
  4. Civility should be present at all times.

Adoption of Minutes

  • Minutes will be accepted per consent, unless corrections are noted at the next meeting.
  • Corrections to the July 28, 2005 minutes are duly noted, and will be uplinked to the web as soon as possible


III. Campus update

Dr. Rita Cheng and Dr. Larry Martin provided the campus update.

Rita Cheng:

  • Assistant Vice-Chancellor for Diversity nominations are out, with a deadline date approaching
  • Series of open forums during the interview process
  • Discussion regarding 50% vs 100% appointment, as well as faculty vs staff appointment {state salary requirements at 50% level were discussed}
  • Level of authority – staff is reporting to, as well as reporting through
  • Position/portfolio/description is aligned, and is similar to many such positions across the country

Council discussion: It was stated that this was a very challenging position. Questions asked focused on what level of authority the person would have on making decisions? What would the impact on campus be? The net effect is reality, and you will have to show results. Pessimistic as to the amount of work involved. How much can this person accomplish? It can’t be “business as usual.”

Larry Martin:

  • Final report from the Task Force on Race and Ethnicity is targeted for delivery to the Provost around September 2nd.
  • Both public and private hearings are proposed.

Council discussion: Executive summary could be disseminated to campus, with the full report available on the web. The report should be put on the administrative, governance and staff agendas for review. Hoping for practical recommendations from the report.


IV. Policy on Gender identity/expression (Yves)

  • Provided printed materials regarding UW system wide and UWM campus policy regarding gender identity.
  • There is a System Policy. How do we implement it at UWM?
  • Council discussion: Rita took the lead and will speak to various campus entities around compliance with the policy. For example, student housing and compliance, EEO policy review and update. This council might identify and recommend key areas and strategies.


V. Assessment and Accountability

Presentation: Gesele Durham, Director of Assessment & Institutional Research

  • Monitoring progress toward 2008
    • Presented printed materials {Access to Success matrix and summary – prepared by Ruth Williams}
    • Matrix
      • Action Initiatives highlighted in yellow; related to Milwaukee Commitment; Plan 2008
      • Items looked at
        • Assessment Measures
        • 04-05 Baseline data
        • Planned actions for each year 05 thru 08
        • Targeted range of improvement
    • Action Items may be modified as necessary
    • Assessment and Accountability will details broad measures
    • Action Implement teams starting to get together
    • Regarding the Early Warning System, initiative feedback from instructors are positive
    • Regarding Tutoring services (mentors)
      • working with I&MT to track students participations in using these services
    • Initially wanted to include advisor (services) but will have to go back to the drawing board for further review
    • Developing a database for matching students with mentors
    • in the very distance future – a digital dashboard will be developed to see how the UWM campus is doing in regards to retention, etc.
    • UWM Care Survey – worked in conjunction with Steve Percy
      • reviewed information on new freshman who did not return
      • total of 342; out of that number 70 responded to the survey
      • 16 were minority
      • cited finances as the major reason for not returning to school/semester
      • were concurrently enrolled at another college (i.e. MATC; UW-Whitewater)
      • will continue to do the survey and repeat every semester


      Council discussion: Challenge to contact former students. Attempted to match demographic data to students. Some students cite finance and part-time tuition policies as a problem. Don’t want a nonuser friendly system of too many forms for the EarlyWarning system. There will be an online process for this eventually. How does faculty interact with students during the first month? How many decision points really occur (one quiz, maybe one exam?) Who takes attendance? Training activities don’t address effectiveness. Looking at page 6&7 on the Access matrix – how does it relate to diversity training and measurement or impact? Any one who wants to volunteer as a member of a team can do so. Their name will be listed as a member. In regards to ownership of the process, you must have faculty buy-in.

    • Diversity score card matrix – Rita Cheng
      • Seven (7) campuses are involved in the pilot project
      • Two (2) workshop is scheduled for Fall
      • Vicki Washington (UW System) is the key contact


VI. Working group discussion/report back


Co-chairs stated that we must set specific deadlines for the next 2 months. What are our short term outcome expectations?

Diversity training group report out:

A group meeting will be scheduled for September. The Co-Chairs have requested that a specific recommendation for Council training be presented at the September meeting.


Ombuds working group report out: Jim Hill – Dean of Students

  • Rita state that some schools/colleges have individuals with ombuds type functionality
    • We need to know who they are (campus inventory)
    • For example, College of Letters & Science has a formalized ombuds office
    • What are the activitites/strategies of campus ombuds?


    Jim Hill – Dean of Students Ombuds Presentation:

    • Jim indicated that the group is currently looking at the UW-Madison model/structure
    • He provided insight into his role as the campus student ombuds
    • His area receives on average 400 complaints yearly (there is student to student mediation).
    • Need to raise awareness among students as to where they can seek help
    • He stated that UWM does not know the needs of students regarding Ombuds questions. Should students be surveyed as to their needs, and then offices can be identified to promote and provide resources.
    • Can the current student Ombuds model handle the need/volume that would arise from an enhanced model?
    • Suggests that we begin to survey UWM students regarding their potential Ombuds issues/needs


    Council discussion: Look at models that are working, and then build on that. Need real clarity as to what areas the Ombuds gets involved in, and looks at. The San Jose University model is not a full spectrum model, but addresses only certain areas such as advising, discrimination and climate. Should our model be focused in to only cover certain areas?


VII. Campus strategic diversity plan

  • The new Associate Vice Chancellor for Diversity will be a key driver in this plan.
  • This will be moved to the September agenda for discussion.

VIII. Wrap Up/Summary of action items

  • Ombus and Diversity training working groups will meet monthly, and report out at our next meeting. (Rita)
  • Diversity training working group has been asked to bring back a recommendation for Council training at the next meeting
  • Campus strategic diversity plan will be an agenda item for the next meeting
  • Student co-chair solicitation will occur before the next meeting (Mary Roggeman)

Next meeting date: September 29, 2005
Chapman Hall – Regent’s Room-2nd Flr
2:00 PM to 4:00 PM