University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Home
Contact Us
A-Z Sitemap
Print This Page

  
UWM Academic Affairs
Academic Program Planning and Review
Access to Success
Assessment and Institutional Research
Budget and Planning
Diversity and Climate
Faculty/Staff Programs
News and Events
Policies and Procedures
Research Support
  Accreditation  
  Active Learning Classrooms  
  UWM Planning Portal  
  Student Success Collaborative  
  Campus Space Planning  
  UW-Milwaukee's Digital Future  


Chancellor’s Council on Inclusion


Chancellor’s Council on Inclusion
June 30, 2005
2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Council Members Present:



Joan Prince
Rita Cheng
Larry Martin
Guillermo Cuautle
Jasmine Alinder
Diane Amour
Kim Beck
Enrique Figueroa
Nancy Frank
Anthony Hightower
Jim Hill
Sandra Jones
Phyllis King
Yves LaPierre
Mary Roggeman
Erika Sander
Sarine Schmidt
Cathy Seasholes
Stan Stojkovic
Dev Venugopalan
Gary Williams
Neil Young
Mary McCoy

I. Welcome and Introductions (Co-chairs)

Rita Cheng will facilitate today's meeting.
Main agenda items will be Diversity Training and Ombuds Initiative . (Yves LaPierre asked for inclusion of an agenda item that was to be placed per a prior request.)

II. Review of the Charge and Council's role - (Joan Prince)

Joan Prince provided an overview of the Chancellor's charge and the council's role
  • Develop a strategic plan for diversity
  • Monitor progress toward Plan 2008 (accountability)
  • Strategies for attracting and retaining faculty and staff of color
  • Develop a diversity training program for campus

Council members were asked to always consider the question: What is my 'role' as a council member?

o Advise the Chancellor or identified topics sent to the Council

III. Ombuds Initiative- preliminary discussion - (Rita Cheng)

Ombuds Discussion

o The UWM legal department was asked to do some research into other college campuses within the U.S. who have an ombuds department (handout was provided)
o Ombuds Office should be ?
o Neutral
o Not connected to other departments/similar offices
o Models (in terms of retired faculty)

o The Council Discussion (synopsis)
1. Are we recommending an ombudsperson now?
2. Do we have examples from the Urban 13 campuses?
3. What models are out there and who staffs them?
4. What has their ?track record? been in terms of success and outcomes?

ACTION: A working group will be formed over the next weeks to draft a report back for the Council.


Yves LaPierre -

NY Times Article - handed out to the group

1) Proposal document for gender neutral bathrooms - Yves will write a more formal document and present it at the next meeting
a. Yves indicated that on February 11, 2005 - the UW System decided to include gender identity and enact compliance
b. It?s beginning to happen a little here on the UWM campus- gender neutral bathrooms

Council discussion:

1. Rita stated that this will need to go back to a committee for discussion.
2. Joan asked Yves to be sure to advise/inform/work with other LGBT groups on campus
3. Council inquired as to what the official document from the Board of Regents is??
4. Should this be a Council discussion yet or should it go through the committee process, and then be charged from the Chancellor for our discussion
5. Erica suggested that we may want to explore where we are as a campus, starting with the Regents document

ACTION: Yves will formulate a written handout for discussion. It will be determined as to what the process is for discussion (should it go through another standing committee or process before this hits the Council?)


IV. Framework for Diversity Training at UWM (ALL)

Larry Martin framed the discussion. Joan Prince facilitated.

Three questions were posed to stimulate/focus discussion. Responses are from all Council members.
 
What is Diversity Training at UWM?
What does it mean?
What does it look like?

General Responses:

Avoid diversity training for symbolic purposes
Council should be involved in the initial stages by developing a framework before hiring a consultant
4-6 people volunteered to serve on a smaller working team
Diversity training should be customized to UWM campus culture
The goal should be to create some type of change, and then to ask - What?s the Next Step?
We need specific and precise outcomes! What are we trying to achieve?
People value diversity and we need to determine what is useful!
Need training that will improve the way people communicate
We should address mobility, sensory, and hearing. It is never addressed! Diversity training should also be formed in terms of people with disabilities.
We need to define what diversity is, and what does diversity training mean. We should train people on how to react and what to do when discriminatory acts are done or seen.
We need to identify what tools people need to respond to racist/discriminatory acts.
There is a need for task base/application base training.
What is the target audience? Some people view diversity training as community service, as a punishment. Skits such as the old Human Experience Theatre (HET) were suggested. Method of delivery is very important.

How do we address the continuum of resistance?
How do we deal with people as to where they are on the continuum?
Context is important! What is the best approach to use?
What is the goal? What are we trying to achieve? Let?s look at some of the historical problems presented (campus hot spots)
How do we integrate it into UWM vs being an ?add-on?
Do we have to do diversity training?
How do we measure knowledge/attitude/behavior because we all start out at different levels?
It should be connected to organizational change.
Need to identify the targets. How should the purpose of diversity training be at UWM? What is the statement? How do we define diversity at UWM?
Define diversity ? then establish standards (define it in a legal context ? in our mission statement???)
Look at the policy level!!

Framework for Diversity Training at UWM
(Direct capture from Chalk Board)

QUESTION #1: What is diversity training to us at UWM?

1. Principle of points of entry growth vs event specific
a. Industry & institution definition of goals moving towards needs and goals vs individual "hires"
2. Create some kind of change (usually ends at a certain point)
3. Specifically regarding outcomes what behavior do we want to change
4. Research based training
5. How do we make everyday life in the organization better?
6. Improves the quality of the way people communicate
7. Mobility, sensory, hearing WERE NOT ADDRESSED IN PREVIOUS TRAININGS!
8. Terminology is frustrating! Lacks precision! Get away from these terms
9. Train people how to deal with active discrimination (case studies)
10. Tools on how to talk about race
11. Outcomes! (Hot spots & Ind. growth)
12. Real questions to ask!!
o Related to concrete responsibilities (separate from soft skills)
o What kind of audience? (e.g. HET, diversity skits)
o Method of delivery
? Realize the "continuum of resistance"
o Plan needs to deal with people where they are on the continuum
o Accessible! (different forms of training)
o Helpful - not just mandatory
o Also atmosphere related! cultural change
o Not a silver bullet!
o Understand what approach needs to be used!
o Ongoing? Not an Add-on!
o Don?t do diversity training!
o Change in knowledge - attitude-behavior (how do we measure those?)

Question #2: What is the purpose statement? (need framework)

1. Do we have a statement? (How do we define diversity (has it moved through governance, etc.))
2. Who is responsible for this? (drafts should be vetted; subcommittee should be charged)
3. Connection between mission statement and definition of diversity
4. Subcommittee will draft, vetted, receive comments back to council (Anthony, Dev, Erika, Yves, Kim, Student member)
5. Social laws and social climate
6. Short term vs long term expectations of behavior
7. Let our needs define diversity
8. Change at a pragmatic level

 

Working team volunteers:
Anthony Hightower
Rita Cheng
Erika Sanders
Yves LaPierre
Kim Beck
Student member

ACTION: Guillermo will contact students for a student member for the working team. The working team will bring an initial report back at the next meeting, and continue to report at upcoming meetings.


V. Updates - (Rita Cheng and Joan Prince)

Plan 2008

o Taskforce on Enrollment Management
o Establishment of a Multicultural Student Center
o Issue on recruitment/retention ? working everyday on these issues

Tribal Chairs Meeting

o The tribal council was quite complementary on UWM and the services
o They were aware of the recruitment of Native American Indians - brought up point about concerns of some the parents who were reluctant to send their children to an urban campus (traditional values ; safety, etc.)

HASI (Hmong American Studies Initiative)

o Will study the initiative
o Group and faculty/staff meeting scheduled
o Currently have 500 Hmong students on campus
o Community sensitive to Hmong cultural
o Met with both campus and community activists regarding UWM's stance on diversity/map support

Diversity Scorecard (handout provided)

o Developed at University of Southern California
o Focus mostly on students
o Being done in the UW System
o Used in business and non-profit organizations
o Four prong approach
o Access
o Retention
o Excellence
o Race activity
o Be able to define our own measures
o Initial stages of this program
o Might want to have a council member in this

Training Dept Chairs/Search Committees

o Conference was held in Madison Wi
o Share with other dept chairs
o Biases in recruitment and promotion
o Beginning in the Fall 2005 - begin to use some of items presented at the conference
o How can biases influence decisions
o Awareness and then develop a process to address the bias

Associate Provost for Diversity and Climate

o Provost will add a Vice Chancellor for Diversity/Climate
o New office position similar to the one at Marquette University's (new office)
o This Vice Chancellor will coordinate the UWM IDEAL, Roberto Hernandez Center (RHC), Equity & Diversity Office and other similar initiatives
o There will be a national search

VI. Summary

o Next meeting will be July 28, 2005
o Updates will be the provost website; Joan mentioned that the handouts received in this meeting and prior meetings will be accessible via the Provost website.

 

SUMMARY OF ACTION ITEMS

1. A working team will be formed to research Ombuds initiatives.

2. Yves will formulate a written handout pertaining to his agenda item discussion today.
3. The working team for Diversity training will begin to meet and report out to the Council each month on their progress.
4. Guillermo will provide a student member?s name to the working team for Diversity training.

5. Joan will start to research the creation of a web link with minutes, as well as handouts (anticipated live date of August 15 th ).