University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Home
Contact Us
A-Z Sitemap
Print This Page

  
UWM Academic Affairs
Academic Program Planning and Review
Access to Success
Assessment and Institutional Research
Budget and Planning
Diversity and Climate
Faculty/Staff Programs
News and Events
Policies and Procedures
Research Support
  Accreditation  
  Active Learning Classrooms  
  UWM Planning Portal  
  Student Success Collaborative  
  Campus Space Planning  
  UW-Milwaukee's Digital Future  

 


Chancellor's Council on Inclusion

Chancellor’s Council on Inclusion
October 27, 2005
2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Joan Prince
Rita Cheng
Larry Martin
Jasmine Alinder
Kim Beck
Simone Conceição
Beverly Cross
Charita Ford
Enrique Figueroa
Jim Hill
Gregory Jay
Phyllis King
Erika Sander
Sarine Schmidt
Cathy Seasholes
Dev Venugopalan
Gary Williams
Neil Young

MEETING MINUTES
Regents Room – Chapman Hall 2nd Floor

The meeting was called to order at 2:04 PM.

Council Logistics (Dr. Joan P.):

  1. The minutes from the September 29, 2005 meeting were reviewed, corrected, and accepted as corrected via consensus.
    • Spelling correction on page 2 (discuss – discussion)
    • Clarification per Dr. Enrique Figueroa (4000 applications vs 2550 admits)

  2. The web link is active. It can be located on the Provost's web page. Council members should refer to the web link for all council business (i.e., agendas, minutes, handouts)

  3. The council co-chairs will generate a work plan for the council for Spring Semester after meeting with the Chancellor. The goal is to produce outcomes that make our campus climate welcoming and inclusive for all. The entire campus must be involved in making the recommendations, and reaching the goals of the Council.

Student Association (Charita Ford):

The following is a summary of the discussion led by Charita Ford, Multicultural Issues Director of the Student Association.

1. A 7-point plan presented by Antonio Ramirez had been presented to, and passed by the Student Senate. A new plan was drafted based on a recalculation of numbers which would benefit students better from a cost standpoint. Discussion is being held within the SA to determine what best suits the students. A student survey might take place where students pick the plan that they feel works best. Currently, there is not a strong tie with United Council. United Council has requested a climate report take place by December 2006.

Responses by Council members: The Council is here to assist Charita, the SA, and all student voices to make recommendations regarding an inclusive climate. Ongoing dialogue with campus administration is essential. Utilize the Provost's office for institutional numbers on diversity for student decision making. Inquiries regarding what our actual student enrollment goal is, and what is driving that goal. The comment was made that we do not want uncontrollable growth. Other comments indicated that the focus should be on diversity and quality.

Campus Update (Dr. Rita C. – Provost):

  1. The Associate Vice Chancellor for Diversity position will be filled within the next few days. Any input people would still like to make should be sent to the office of the Provost.
  2. The preliminary assessments of bridge programs are positive. Discussion with MATC is moving ahead regarding three pre-professional programs. Multicultural Center is up and running with Linda Huang as the interim Director. All students that have requested a mentor have been matched. A tracking system is in place as well. Faculty is positive regarding the Early Warning system.
  3. Inquiry was made regarding faculty diversity numbers (what is the breakdown and in which departments). Response was that the search committee chairs would be provided with training. Financial aid was tracking to see if that is helpful in retaining students of color. The system is working on the Equity Scorecard and UWM is a pilot site.
  4. It was stated that there used to be a faculty match fund which assisted with positions that were related to diversity, and that this should be reinstated to assist with our diversity goals. Where does the power sit in faculty hiring? Some felt it was with the Deans, and that the recruitment plan for the schools/colleges is about numbers. Can Human Resources provide updates, so we can monitor for recruitment of faculty?

Action item: The Provost will bring faculty diversity numbers per school and departments to the next council meeting.

Ombuds Working Group Report out (Dr. Dev V.):

There are several different models of an ombuds program currently operating in universities and colleges. A draft was presented for council review. Recommendations are that we need an Ombuds on campus which reflects a multilevel approach to resolution and then solutions. This campus Ombuds (may have a team model) should report to the Chancellor. Confidentiality and neutrality are essential. There are standard principles which should be followed as part of the University/College Ombuds Association. Professional training should include conflict resolution and cross-cultural communication at a minimum.

Responses from Council: At the next meeting, the Council will review and edit the proposal from the Working Group and make a recommendation to the Chancellor. The University Committee and other governance, as well as all of campus will participate in the discussion. The larger discussion focused on how the Campus Ombuds committee would be appointed and staffed. (Is the weight on the workload? Each school/college should have a point person or council. How does this connect with the overall campus council?)

Action Item: The Council members will review the handouts regarding the Ombuds and be prepared to edit and revise, and vote on a recommendation at the next meeting.

Race and Ethnicity Report Findings (Dr. Larry M.):

Highlights of the presentation:

  • Campus wide input was solicited by an initial task force of over 60-70 volunteers, led by a smaller leadership team
  • 97 cases were identified.
  • The most striking issues were that of retaliation, secrecy/privacy, and playing the race card.
  • Critical surveys reflected that the campus attitude was favorable towards diversity, but people of color have a much different perception of their work experiences
  • Recommendations included developing a five-year strategic plan, promotion of a learning environment where we share our problems and resolutions with each other, utilizing exit interviews effectively, and stronger communication ties on campus. This Council could work with Deans and others in a connected effort.

Council responses:

  1. UWM does not have the capacity to talk about race. We do not have the sensitivity when it comes to discussing race related issues.
  2. We must look to create an environment for people to talk about race without retaliation.
  3. Campus units should contribute toward the diversity strategic plan.
  4. Diversity training must be effective. Historically it does not work.
  5. Let’s define action learning, and determine how it can be utilized.
  6. Women’s taskforce recommendations need to be included as we move forward.
  7. Official thank you to Dr. Martin and the task force for completing this responsibility.

Dr. Rita Cheng closed the meeting.

Next meeting date:
December 1, 2005
Union E280
2:00 PM – 4:00 PM