At UWM we offer many majors and their corresponding degree type. Details about majors and degrees offered can be found here.
General Degree Requirements
The general requirements for a Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Bachelor of Science in Engineering (BSE) Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) or a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree are:
- A minimum of 120 credits (varies according to school/college).
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.00.
- Residency requirement: The final 30 credits (senior year), must be taken at UWM.
Dual Degree vs. Double Major
The following guidelines are provided as general information regarding Dual Degrees and Double Majors. Most schools/colleges do not offer Dual Degrees. Please contact your school/college advising offices for more detailed information.
- Dual Degree:
- Students interested in dual-degree programs must apply and be accepted by each program separately.
- Students will be assigned advisors from both programs (if programs are in different schools/colleges) in which they are studying.
- While the specific requirements of each dual-degree program differs, each program offers students the opportunity to acquire two degrees in less time than it would take if pursued independently.
- Both sets of degree requirements must be fulfilled before either degree is awarded.
- Upon completion of a dual degree program the student will:
- Apply for graduation twice. (once for each degree)
- Be billed an $80.00 graduation fee by the Bursars office ($40.00 per degree)
- Receive 2 diplomas ( one for each completed degree)
- The final transcript will reflect two separate degrees
- Double Major:
A double major is defined differently than a Dual Degree. A double major is defined as:
- An additional major in either your current academic program or another school/college at UWM.
- Students who opt for a double major must complete only the major requirements; they are not required to complete degree requirements for an entire second degree.
- Upon completion of a double major the student will:
- Apply for graduation once
- Be billed a $40.00 graduation fee by the Bursars office
- Receive 1 diploma
- The final transcript will reflect one degree with two majors
Policy for Granting Degrees
The faculty of each major has determined the title of the degree to be awarded upon completion of each of their approved programs of study. The following is a complete list of majors and their corresponding degree type offered at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
School/College Academic Major Degree Designation Health Sciences Clinical Laboratory Sciences BS
Communication Sciences & Disorders BS
Health Care Administration BS
Occupational Therapy BS
Therapeutic Recreation BS Architecture & Urban Planning Architectural Studies BS Business Administration Accounting BBA
Human Resources Management BBA
Management Information Systems BBA
Production & Operations Management BBA Education Community Education BS
Educational Studies BS
Exceptional Education BS Engineering & Applied Science Civil Engineering BSE
Computer Science BS
Electrical Engineering BSE
Industrial Engineering BSE
Materials Engineering BSE
Mechanical Engineering BSE The Arts Art BA,BFA
Art Education BFA
Music Education BFA
Theatre BA,BFA Letters & Science Africilogy BA
Applied Mathematics and Physics BS
Art History and Criticism BA
Atmospheric Sciences BS
Conservation & Environmental Science BA,BS
Biological Sciences BA,BS
Comparative Literature BA
Course in Chemistry BS
Film (interdisciplinary with Fine Arts) BA
Global Studies BA
Hebrew Studies BA
International Studies BA
Journalism & Mass Communication BA
Medical Science BS
Political Science BA
Religious Studies BA
Multidisciplinary-Committee-directed BA,BS Information Studies Information Science and Technology BS Nursing Nursing BS
Nursing (Collaborative Program) BS Social Welfare Criminal Justice BS
Social Work BS