You should use PAWS to register online or make changes to your schedule anytime after the start time indicated in your enrollment appointment.
Before you make any changes to your schedule, make sure you understand how these changes may affect you. Changes can affect you academically and financially. See the Registrar's Add/Drop Calendar at regcalendar.uwm.edu for deadlines and penalties associated with enrollment in recent and upcoming terms.
PAWS Pre-Enrollment Steps
- You will need to be admitted to UWM if you are not a continuing student. Check out the Future Students pages for further information.
- Check your enrollment appointment on PAWS. This is the earliest date/time you can enter the PAWS system to enroll. After this date/time, you can reenter the system at any time the system is available. Student appointments are scheduled by year-in-school (grads, seniors, juniors, sophomores, freshmen, non-degree students) and total credits completed. Additional information on Enrollment Appointments can be found at enrollappointment.uwm.edu.
- Be sure there are no Holds on your enrollment. You will need to clear any Holds or negative service indicators on your record before you'll be able to enroll via PAWS. Check your holds in the upper righthand corner of your PAWS Student Center. Click on the "Details" link for additional information on any holds, including steps to remove the hold.
- Check with an academic advisor. If you are in a program with mandatory advising, your advising office will need to release an enrollment hold to enable you to enroll online.
- Make a list of possible class choices (and alternates) from the Schedule of Classes before signing onto PAWS. Be sure to write down the five-digit Class Number for each class you wish to take. This will greatly speed the enrollment process for you. (Class Numbers can be found under the arrows in the class listing pages of the Schedule of Classes.)
The Enrollment Transaction
- Log in to PAWS. You will be in the PAWS Student Center.
- Verify that no enrollment holds exist on your account.
- Select Enroll in the Academics section of your Student Center.
- If there are multiple terms active, you will be prompted to select a term (semester). Otherwise, you will be brought directly to the Add Classes to Shopping Cart page. Classes are added to the enrollment shopping cart as the first step of enrollment.
- There are two primary ways to add classes to your enrollment shopping cart: enter the five-digit class number OR via a PAWS Class Search.
If you know the five-digit class number, enter that number into the entry box and click the Enter button.
If you do NOT know the five-digit class number, with the Class Search radio button selected, click the Search button.
On the search page that appears, select a Subject from the drop-down (e.g., English) and enter a three-digit catalog number (e.g., 101). If you only want to see sections that have seats available, leave the Show Open Classes Only checkbox selected. If you want to see all sections, un-check the Show Open Classes Only checkbox.
Class sections the meet the search criteria will appear. If more than three sections meet the search criteria, you will need to scroll through the results using the arrows or click the View All Sections link. Click the Select Class button to select a section.
- At this point, whether you selected a class using a five-digit Class Number or via the PAWS Class Search, you will be at the same point, which is the Class Details page of the selected class. Please review this information carefully.
- Once you have verified the Class Detail information, click the Next button to add the class to your enrollment shopping cart. If there are any related components associated with the class (i.e., discussions or labs), you will be prompted to select one before the class is added to your enrollment shopping cart.
- If you wish to add additional classes, repeat the steps above. Otherwise, check the box in the Select column of your enrollment shopping cart, and click the Enroll button.
- You will be taken to the Confirm Classes page. Please review this information carefully. Click the Finish Enrolling button to complete the transaction.
- If your enrollment request was successful, you will see a Green Check Mark(success) under the Status column. If your request was unsuccessful you will see a Red X(errors) and an error message will be displayed. If the message states that the class is full or that you do not meet the requisites, you may wish to contact the department that is offering the class to see if they will issue you a Class Permission or sign an Add/Drop form.
- Click the Add Another Class button to continue adding or dropping classes.
- When you have finished entering classes or making changes, take a final look at your schedule by clicking the My Schedule link at the bottom of the page.
Swap a Class
Students may swap classes on PAWS as long as the add and/or drop deadlines have not passed for either class. Use Swap when you want to keep the class you're swapping until you're sure you can add into the other class successfully.To swap classes:
- Click the Swap tab on the My Class Schedule Page.
- Select the class you wish to swap under Swap this class
- Under With This Class enter the class number or use the search function.
- Click Finish Swapping button
- If your course request can be met, you will see a Green Check Mark under the Status column.
- If your request cannot be met, you will see a Red X and an error message will be displayed.
- If the message states that the class is full or that you do not meet the requisites, you may wish to contact the department that is offering the class to see if they will issue you a permission number or sign an Add/Drop form.
Editing a Class (Changing sections or grading basis/credit value)
Students may edit classes that they previously registered for. This action will be useful for changing discussion or lab sections, changing the grading basis or changing the credit value of a variable credit course.To edit classes:
- Click the Edit tab on the My Class Schedule page.
- On the Edit Class Enrollment Option page, select the class you wish to edit.
- Click the Proceed to Step 2 of 3 button
- If this is a multi-part course:
- To change discussion(DIS) or lab(LAB), select the section you wish to change to and then click NEXT
- If you do not want to change the DIS or LAB click NEXT.
- If you have no other changes, click NEXT.
- Review the information and the click Finish Editing.
- If your course request can be met, you will see a Green Check Mark(success) under the Status column.
- If your request cannot be met, you will see a Red X(error) and an error message will be displayed.
If this course allows students to choose their grading basis there will be a drop down menu next to GRADING.
- Select the desired grading basis and click NEXT.
- Review the information and click Finish Editing.
If this course allows students to change the credit value, there will be a drop down menu next to UNITS.
- Change the number of units and click NEXT.
- Review the information and then click Finish Editing.