Graduate Application Process
Please refer to the Center for International Education's website for further information on application requirements, English proficiency requirements, and application deadlines specific to international graduate students.
Undergraduate Application Process
Complete the online application at apply.wisconsin.edu. Within a few days after you have submitted your application, you will receive an e-mail from us with information on how to check the status of your application online.
Pay the Application and Evaluation Fees
All applicants must include the $44 application fee (AF). All applicants who have education from outside the US must also pay the additional $40 evaluation fee (EF). You can send a check or international money order, or pay the fees with a credit card at the same time you submit an online application.
Bachelor's degree applicants who have NEVER studied outside the US - Total $44 ($44 AF). Bachelor's degree applicants who have studied outside the US - Total $84 ($44 AF + $40 EF).
Send Academic RecordsOfficial records must be sent directly to UWM from the institution or examination authority unless the institution or examination authority does not offer this service.
Applicants must submit original or officially-certified copies of academic records for all upper secondary and post-secondary education, whether or not the program was completed. Official records must be submitted in the native language and must be accompanied by an official English translation.
Please note: All documents submitted become the property of the University and will be destroyed after processing. If you do not want to lose your original documents, please send officially-certified copies. If this is not possible, you may include a pre-paid, express envelope at the time you submit your documents and they will be returned when we have processed them. We can return original transcripts, mark sheets, grade reports, diplomas, and national standardized examinations. We will not return certified copies, IELTS reports, U.S. transcripts, proof of funding, or other supporting documentation that can be easily duplicated.
We are not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged documents.
Send Proof of English Language Proficiency
Applicants for undergraduate study at UWM whose native language is not English must meet one of the following for admission:
- TOEFL: Minimum TOEFL score of 520 (PBT) or 68 (iBT). (ETS school code 1473)
- IELTS: Minimum IELTS score of 5.5. (Give UWM’s mailing address to the testing center.)
- University Study: Proof of completion of at least eighteen months of full-time study (approximately three semesters) at a recognized or accredited institution of higher education whose language of instruction is English (immediately prior to enrollment at UWM). Secondary/High School Study: Proof of completion of the last two years of secondary/high school at an institution whose language of instruction is English (immediately prior to enrollment at UWM).
- Conditional Admission: Applicants who do not meet any of the above options may be eligible for conditional admission to UWM. Admitted students in this category are required to enroll in UWM's ESL program and will not be eligible to register for academic courses until they have met one of the following:
- Successful completion of the UWM Intensive English as a Second Language program (One full semester [16 weeks] of Immersion level ESL; Overall attendance in ESL courses must be at least 85%; Positive overall assessment from three ESL instructors; Overall grade in Immersion level ESL of B- or better).
- Submission of an official TOEFL or IELTS score that meets the minimum requirements described above from an exam that was taken after the date of admission.
Starting Fall 2012, all applicants to the College of Engineering & Applied Science must also submit official ACT or SAT scores. Be sure to select UW-Milwaukee (ACT school code 4658, SAT school code 1473) to have your scores sent directly to us.
If admitted to UWM, applicants who expect to hold an F-1 or J-1 visa must provide proof of adequate funds to live and study full-time at UWM. Estimated costs of studying at UWM are included in the Proof of Funding Information Form.
Addresses & Contact Information
Express Mail Address
Phone: (414) 229-4846