It is the intent of the Code to build community, to protect academic freedom, to help preserve the highest standards of scholarship and teaching, to create a supportive environment, and to advance the vision and mission of the Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business. The Code underscores the principle of respect for academic colleagues, for individual disciplines, and for the Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business. Academic colleagues include all faculty and staff of the Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business.
Although no set of rules or professional code can either guarantee or take the place of an individual’s personal integrity, we believe that a written code of ethics may serve as a reminder of the variety of obligations and responsibilities assumed by all members of the Lubar School academic community.
Obligations and Responsibilities to Academic Colleagues
- To strive to work together in an atmosphere of mutual respect and fairness, taking into account the diversity of our community.
- To respect and defend free inquiry.
- To show courtesy and respect for the professional opinions and aspirations of others in all interactions and communications.
- To strive to be objective and unbiased during professional judgment of colleagues.
- To encourage and promote the professional development and activities of colleagues.
- To be responsible for our own behavior, fully accountable for our actions, and to conduct ourselves with integrity, dignity, and restraint.
- To represent ourselves honestly in all interactions, intellectual activities, communications, and correspondence.
- To engage in intellectual exchanges without personalizing differences of opinions.
- To value dissent and to acknowledge the right of others to express differing opinions.
- To be cognizant of the power differences that may exist in our interactions with academic colleagues and particularly considerate to those who occupy positions of lesser power.
Lubar School of Business faculty and staff will conscientiously maintain the highest standards of professional conduct and will act in a manner that will contribute positively to the overall vision and mission of the Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business.