Online Graduate Certificate in Technology Entrepreneurship
The online graduate certificate in technology entrepreneurship recognizes the importance of combining entrepreneurial thinking with engineering-driven technological innovation. The focus of the certificate is on preparing individuals to think innovatively and to pursue the commercialization of their innovative ideas and technological solutions, either independently or within the confines of an established organization. Students who complete this certificate will gain a substantial competitive edge in pursuing a career—either as an engineer or as a business specialist—by combining their entrepreneurial skills and capabilities with their particular field of expertise. The entrepreneurial skills and experience acquired through this graduate certificate will enable students to position themselves not merely as technologists or business specialists but as innovators and entrepreneurs, whether they intend to pursue their own new venture or a career with established companies. The program specifically benefits two types of students:
• Individuals with a business undergraduate background who are currently working as marketing, IT, HR, and finance functional specialists, as well those who are currently pursuing graduate programs in business. These students will acquire an in-depth awareness of product and market development in technology-based or IT-based industries. This highly specialized knowledge will prepare students to work with engineering and product development teams as marketing managers, IT managers, HR managers and finance managers in conceptualizing, developing, and marketing technology-based (and IT-based or digital) products and services (in both new ventures and established companies).
• Individuals with an engineering undergraduate background who are currently working as electrical engineers or mechanical engineers and who are currently pursuing graduate programs in engineering. These students will acquire an in-depth knowledge of the business, market and organizational context within which technological innovation and entrepreneurship occurs. These students will be well prepared to work with business managers in conceptualizing, planning, and pursuing technology- based entrepreneurial (or intrapreneurial) projects.
The objective of this certificate program is to provide expertise, skills, and experience in technology entrepreneurship. The curriculum is designed to provide students with the ability to:
• Recognize viable entrepreneurial opportunities in the technology landscape
• Analyze entrepreneurial opportunities and devise appropriate business models and plans to pursue those opportunities
• Communicate the business story related to a technology venture to external stakeholders
• Develop an in-depth understanding of how ideas get transformed into new products/services
• Identify sources for acquiring different types of resources for technology ventures in the contemporary business world
• Develop critical and analytical thinking skills related to technology innovation management in a global context
• Be able to integrate ideas and knowledge from multiple fields (disciplines) to develop a new product or service concept.
Required Courses (15 credits)
The program curriculum has been planned such that it can be completed, if desired, in as little as two (Fall start) or three semesters (Spring start).
Bus Adm/ME 544 New Product Development
Bus Adm/ME 546 Global Innovation Management
Bus Mgmt 741 Management of Technology Ventures
BusMgmt 742 Technology Innovation and Corporate Entrepreneurship
BusMgmt 743 Technology Entrepreneurship Project (capstone)
In addition to the required courses, students must participate in a set of pre-approved professional activities as part of the certificate program. Such activities may include entrepreneurship-related conferences and workshops as well as business plan competitions. Each student will develop a professional activity plan that will be approved by the program director.
Students currently enrolled in a graduate business or engineering program are eligible for this program. Persons not currently enrolled must apply for admission to the Graduate School and must possess, at a minimum, a bachelor's business or engineering degree with an overall GPA of 2.75 or better, or a business or engineering masters degree. A maximum of 6 credits from the Graduate Certificate in Technology Entrepreneurship may also count towards other UWM graduate degrees. Students must complete all coursework required for the certificate with at least a 3.0 GPA to have the certificate posted on their transcript at graduation. Students must complete all certificate courses within 3 years of initial enrollment in the program.
For more information please contact Graduate Student Services at 414-229-5403 or firstname.lastname@example.org