|12 February 1999, Friday
Registration 12:30 pm
Session I 1:00-4:00 pm
Issues Relating to Population Identification
1. Who should identify human groups for genetic study: scientists,
representatives or governments?
2. Should researchers try to avoid using socially defined group
boundaries in designing genetic studies? Why or why not?
3. What about nested human groups in which research on a part may
implications for the whole?
Coffee Break 4:00-4:15 pm
Session II 4:15-5:45 pm
Ancient DNA: A special case of population identification
Friday Evening at the Park East Hotel
Cash Bar 6:30 pm
Dinner 7:00 pm (Ontario/Michigan Room)
8:00 pm Ontario/Michigan
Dr. Martin has conducted genetic research on the Hutterites and is
currently a patent attorney with Barnes and Thornburg.
13 February 1999, Saturday
Session III 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Issues Relating to Informed Consent
1. What does "informed consent" mean when both group and individual
2. What collective risks and potential benefits should be disclosed
genetic diversity research
3. What methods of community consultation are effective in securing
informed, voluntary group participation?
4. Does permission from the national, state or local government to
conduct a project have meaning for the particular population studied?
5. How should researchers deal with ex-patriate communities whose
about participating in genetic diversity research differ from their
community of origin?
6. To what extent can group retain the traditional rights of individuals
to confidentiality and free withdrawal from research in genetic diversity?
Lunch at the Hefter Center 12:00-1:00 pm
Session IV 1:00-3:30 pm
Successful Research Collaborations
1. How have successful interactions between populations and researchers
2. How can the culture of the population be taken into account in
design and implementation of these projects?
Coffee Break 3:30-4:00 pm
Session V 4:00-5:30 pm
Issues Relating to Research Outcomes
1. What commercial reciprocity arrangements are realistic and
2. Should the social identities of participating groups be disclosed in
Dinner at John Ernst Restaurant 7:00 pm