Faculty Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the CC Certificate?
The Certificate is a unique interdisciplinary minor anchored by the “Multicultural America” core courses and community engagement through service learning. Only courses carrying General Education accreditation may be affiliated, so students can complete most of their “Gen Ed” requirements while also earning the Certificate.

Q: I see in the schedule that my class is a CC affiliate. How did that happen?
Your department has chosen to affiliate the course permanently because it meets our learning goals and conforms to our guidelines. Whoever teaches the course should make sure the syllabus is in alignment with this commitment. Affiliation means a student can count this course towards fulfillment of the Certificate.

Q: How does affiliation affect my course design?
All affiliated courses should include a number of relevant CC Learning Goals and assignments that enable students to meet those goals. See our CC Learning Goals page for more information.

Q: Do all CC courses require Service Learning?
No, this is only true of the “Multicultural America” core courses. But we do encourage instructors to consider integrating a service learning assignment into their course. The UWM Center for Community-Based Learning, Leadership, and Research office will be happy to meet with you to discuss the possibilities and assist you in the logistics. Call 414 229-3161.

Q: Must all CC classes focus on “cultural diversity”?
This is a complicated question. At UWM, all students must take one 3 credit course focused on “Minority Cultural Diversity in America,” which must be approved at the campus level. Many CC courses carry that designation, but many do not. Yet questions about diversity are often important in these other classes. Our “Guidelines for Courses” suggest how critical examinations of diversity can be incorporated in your syllabus. The CC program thus aims to infuse scholarship, teaching, and student reflection about diversity across the curriculum, and not simply in the officially designated required courses.

Q: I would like to teach for CC. Where do I start?
Begin by contacting CC Director Dr. Robert Smith. He meets with interested faculty to explore course possibilities, pedagogical ideas, engagement projects, and student assignments. It may be that a currently approved course can be revised so as to meet the affiliation requirements. Or a new course could be designed. Call 414 229-5960 or email smithrs@uwm.edu.