November is National Career Development Month. Help celebrate career and life goals by engaging in professional development, critically reading resources, and sharing your career-related advice.
1. Use the hashtag #uwmcareer and tweet your thoughts about "What does career development mean to you?"
2. Visit the Career Development Center in Mellencamp 128. Make an appointment with a career counselor, stop by express lane walk-in hours, or consult our resources to help your career and life goals.
3. Join UWM's LinkedIn group, Panther Connections, for job postings, article sharing, and lots of networking with fellow Panthers.
4. Complete a career inventory to identify top occupations that match your interests.
5. Meet with your advisor. Celebrate your academic progress and identify your graduation timeline.
6. Locate at least three organizationsthat interest you as a future employee.Like them on Facebook or other websites to learn more about their opportunities.
7. Volunteer. You'll not only give back to the community, but you will also gain valuable job skills and confirm your career interests.
8. Say, “Thank you.” Send a hand-written thank you to someone who has invested in your professional development.
9. Review the privacy settings of Facebookand other social networks you use to ensure that your personal information is protected.