Using the Web to its Full Potential: The Art & Science of Job Search
PowerPoint with Audio Presentation
This online workshop will provide you with a comprehensive overview of the job hunting process from preparation to goal setting through job search strategies and interviewing. The target audience is undergraduate students who are looking for full-time opportunities, but students pursuing internships and summer jobs as well as alumni in the middle of career change or job search challenges may also find it useful.
Each part has its own unique value and you may choose one which best meets your needs. However, viewing all 3 parts consecutively either at one time or over time will maximize your knowledge and skills.
Slides within the three parts contain links to websites, articles, and worksheets. Links will open in a new browser window, however, the slideshow will continue to play. Therefore, it is recommended that you pause that slideshow before clicking on a link.
Play Part 1 - Building the Foundation (16 minutes)
Learn about the job search process, understand your readiness for successful job hunting and clarify your job objectives. After viewing part 1, please give us your feedback and comments.
Links and worksheets referred to in part 1 of the workshop:
- Worksheet A - Preparation for Job Search
- There Are No Hard and Fast Job Hunting Rules
- CDC Job Search Website
- The Corporate-Culture Conundrum
- Assess Company Culture to Find the Best Fit
- CDC Website Researching Careers
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Fortune 500 Company Sites
- CDC Website Job Market Projections
- Employment Survey of UWM Graduates
- What Can I Do With This Major
- Worksheet B - Job Goal Statement
Play Part 3 - Marketing and Connecting to Employers (27 minutes)
Links and worksheets referred to in part 3 of the workshop:
- UWM and Community Career Fairs
- Internships and Part-Time and Full-Time Jobs with Milwaukee Metro Employers Looking for "Any Major"
- Job Boards for Full-Time, Part-Time, Internship, and Volunteer Positions
- Job Central
- Informational Interviewing and Networking
- Directory of Federal Agencies
- Hoovers Company Research
- Ask the Headhunter
- Milwaukee Executive Search Firms and Staffing Agencies
- CDC Interviewing Resources
- Dress to Achieve
- Dress for Success
- Salary Surveys, Requirements, and Negotiations
- Workshop D - Your Next Steps
Copyright 2008 - All slides, audio, and worksheets for the Art & Science of Job Search: Using the Web to its Full Potential have been developed by the UWM Career Development Center for UWM students and alumni.