Dr. Dan Brown
Dr. Dan Brown is recognized as one of America’s leading authorities on the construction and design of deep foundations for transportation structures. He has authored numerous papers and reports on his research and practical experiences with deep foundation construction, testing and design. After 23 years on the faculty at Auburn University, Dr. Brown remains active in deep foundation practice through his consulting firm, Dan Brown and Associates.
Notable research includes his work into the effect of construction techniques on foundation performance, critical performance characteristics of fluid concrete for drilled shaft construction, and design of deep foundations for lateral loading. He is co-author of the 2010 FHWA Manual on Design and Construction of Drilled Shafts and developer and instructor of the National Highway Institute course on Drilled Shafts. He also authored the FHWA manual on Continuous Flight Auger Piles and was co-developer of the NHI course on inspection of driven piles. He organized the ADSC Professor Training Workshop held last summer in Chattanooga, TN.
He has been recognized by ASCE with the Martin S. Kapp Foundation Engineering Award “For his contribution to improvements in the design and quality of drilled shaft construction through research in testing and construction, as well as extensive consulting experience on large scale foundation projects” and with the Huber Prize for his research on analysis, design and testing of deep foundations for highway bridges. He has been recognized by the ADSC with their Outstanding Service Award.
His professional activities:
- an active member of TRB Committee AFS30, Foundations for Bridges and other Structures,
- past chairman of the ASCE Geo-Institute Deep Foundations Committee,
- honorary member of ADSC: The International Association of Foundation Drilling and of PDCA, the Pile Driving Contractor’s Association
- trustee of the Deep Foundations Institute.
He has practical experience with the design of drilled shafts for bridge structures as a consultant on numerous major bridge projects. Recent projects include
- the Paseo Bridge over the Missouri River in Kansas City,
- the John James Audubon Bridge over the Mississippi River in Louisiana, which, when completed, will be the longest cable-stayed bridge in America
- the I-15 Beck St. Bridge in Salt Lake City,
- the I-35W Bridge Replacement in Minneapolis,
- the Biloxi Bay Bridge Replacement from Hurricane Katrina, Biloxi, Mississippi.
In his non-professional activities, Dr. Brown is a lifetime motorcycle enthusiast and serves as a Diplomat of the North American Trials Council of the American Motorcycle Association and a member of the Southeastern Trials Riders Association Hall of Fame. Emphasis is on “non-professional”, since he wasn’t talented enough to pursue a professional motorcycle racing career!