History of Electrical Engineering Department at CEAS
The Electrical Engineering group of the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department has roots going back to the 1910's in UW Extension program, which offered courses in Milwaukee leading to an M.Sc. Degree in Electrical Engineering. Among notable graduates of the predecessor of todays EE&CS department is Jack S. Kilby, who in the 1950's and '60's made pioneering contributions to development of the first integrated circuits, and in 2000 won the Nobel prize for Physics. Elements of the extension program moved to UWM in 1965, when the College of Applied Science and Engineering (CASE) was formed, to become the Electrical Department, and ultimately the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. In 1965, areas of study included electrical circuits, electro-magnetics, control theory, AC power systems and networks & communications. At that time, all freshmen men in the Engineering program (like other programs on campus) were required to take military training with the reserve officer training corps orientation program. By 1970 the controversial military training requirement was dropped. During this time, the Electrical Department had offices in what is now the Physics Building on the UWM campus.In 1971 the college was renamed the College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS) the department moved to the new thirteen-story Engineering and Mathematical Sciences Building (EMS). By 1972 the department faculty had grown to 17 professors and a computer science option was created. Later the department was renamed from the Electrical Department to Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. With constant innovation to the curriculum and research programs and offering the Bachelor's, Master's and Ph.D. Degrees the EE&CS department continues to evolve to meet the challenges and opportunities of today and tomorrow.