Ph.D. – Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA, 2009
M.S. – Industrial Engineering, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX, 2005
B.E. – Mechanical Engineering, University of Petroleum, Shandong, China, 1999
B.A. –English, University of Petroleum, Shandong, China, 1999
- Sustainable design and manufacturing
- Manufacturing Energy Efficiency
- Life Cycle Assessment(LCA)and Engineering
- Sustainability of nanotechnology
- Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD) of nano-scale thin films
- Nano-materials/structure for sustainable energy development
Research assistantships are available in Prof. Yuan’s lab for both graduate and undergraduate students with strong interests in any of the following areas: sustainable (green) manufacturing, numerical system modeling, atomic layer deposition, and nano-scale thin film characterizations. Please contact Prof. Yuan via email with your complete C.V. for any inquiries.
- Lin, X., Yu, K.H., Lu, G.H., Chen, J.H., Yuan, C. “Atomic Layer Deposition of TiO2 interfacial Layer for Enhancing Performance of Qantum Dot and Dye Cosensitized Solar Cells”, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, accepted.
- Yu. K.H., Lin, X., Lu, G. H., Wen, Z.H., Yuan, C., Chen, J. H. “Optimizing CdS quantum dot-sensitized solar cell performance through atomic layer deposition of ultrathin TiO2 coating”, RSC Advances, 2, 2012, 7843-7848.
- Li, T., Zhang, H. C., Yuan, C. Liu, Z.C., Fan, C. C. “A PCA Based Method for Construction of Composite Sustainability Indicators”, International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 17, 2012, pp.593-603.
- Yuan, C., Zhai, Q, Dornfeld, D. “A Three Dimensional System Approach for Environmentally Sustainable Manufacturing”, CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, 61(1), 2012, pp.39-42.
- Yuan, C. and Zhang, T. “Environmental Implications of Nano-scale Manufacturing,” book chapter in “Green Manufacturing: Fundamentals and Applications”, ISBN: 1441960155/978-1441960153, Springer, 2012.
- Zhai Q, Cao, H.J., Zhao, X., Yuan, C. “Cost Benefit Analysis of Using Clean Energy Supply to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Global Automotive Manufacturing”, Energies, 4(10), 2011, pp.1478-1494.
- Nangmenyi, G. N., Lin, X., Lee, E., Yuan, C. “Experimental Investigation of Inorganic Nanofiltration Membranes Prepared by Atomic Layer Deposition and Sol Gel Methods for Saltless Water Softening,” Intl. Journal of Environmental Technology and Management, in press.
- Yuan, C. and Dornfeld, D. “A Schematic Method for Sustainable Material Selection of Toxic Chemicals in Design and Manufacturing”, Journal of Mechanical Design-ASME Transaction, 132(9), 2010, 091014.1-7.
- Yuan, C. and Dornfeld, D. “Integrated Sustainability Analysis of Atomic Layer Deposition for Microelectronics Manufacturing”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering-ASME Transaction, 132(3), 2010, 030918.1-7.
- Yuan, C. and Dornfeld, D. “Reducing the Environmental Footprint and Economic Costs of Automotive Manufacturing through an Alternative Energy Supply”, Transaction of NAMRI/SME, Vol. 37, 2009, pp.427-434.
- Yuan, C., Zhang, H. C., McKenna, G., Korzeniewski, C., and Li, J. “Experimental Studies on Cryogenic Recycling of Printed Circuit Board”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 34, 2007, pp. 657-666.
- Yuan, C., Zhang, T., Rangarajan, A., Dornfeld, D., Ziemba, B., and Whitbeck, R. “A Decision-based Analysis of Compressed Air Usage Patterns in Automotive Manufacturing”, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 25 (4), 2006, pp.293-300.
Dissertation and thesis:
- “A System Approach for Reducing the Environmental Impact of Manufacturing and Sustainability Improvement of Nano-scale Manufacturing”, Ph.D. dissertation, University of California, Berkeley, 2009.
- “An Environmentally Benign Supercritical Fluid Process for Printed Wiring Board Recycling”, M.S. thesis, Texas Tech University, 2004.