Exposure and Biological Analysis Facility Core
Core Director: Paula North, MD PhD
The Exposure and Biological Analysis Facility Core provides Center investigators with professional-quality histological and immunohistochemical staining, a variety of state-of-the-art wide-field and laser-scanning microscopic imaging systems, and specimen storage support services that facilitate their individual and collaborative basic and translational investigations in a timely and cost effective manner. These services provide investigators with the diagnostic and analysis tools needed to further their research around environmental health concerns.
The Core provides:
- A fertile environment of group, one-on-one, and web-based interactive opportunities that will catalyze new interactions between basic and clinical scientists and thus promote the development of new translational research projects.
- Enriched pre-college education in the community through direct and web-based educational outreach activities by EHSC Center participants, facilitated by sharing of appropriate high quality photos provided by this facility Core that depict the effects of environmental toxicants on embryonic development.
- Provide a human tissue and blood specimen storage mechanism using the resources of a preexisting, pathology-directed Pediatric BioBank and Analytical Tissue Core to support the Integrative Health Sciences Facility Core.
Imaging services provide Center investigators with:
- Convenient assisted and unassisted access to state-of-the-art widefield, confocal, and multi-photon laser scanning microscope systems.
- Convenient assisted and unassisted access to a well-maintained fluorescence and brightfield-equipped laser capture microdissection (LCM) system.
- Management and maintenance of all the shared microscope systems and training and assistance for the EHSC Core Users and their staff in the effective and safe use of these systems.
Histology services provide Center investigators with:
- A wide spectrum of timely, consistent, and high-quality histology services including, but not limited to, grossing, processing, embedding, cutting, and frozen sectioning.
- Education of personnel in EHSC Core User laboratories in the proper collection, fixation, orientation, and transport of tissue specimens for histological processing and imaging studies.
- Expertise to assist investigators in interpreting histological and immunohistochemical findings in tissue sections from humans and animal models of human environmentally-modulated disease.
If you are interested in learning more, please contact Dr. Paula North at (414) 266-2255 or firstname.lastname@example.org.