Kinesiology: B.S. Athletic Training
Admission to the University is done by satisfying UWM admission requirements, and selecting “Pre-Athletic Training” as the intended major. Students pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training must apply specifically to the ATEP. The application process begins during the fall Pre-Athletic Training semester and students are admitted into the ATEP in January. Students intending to pursue the Athletic Training major should schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor by calling (414) 229-2758.
Students must meet the following criteria to be eligible for application to the ATEP:
- Cumulative UWM GPA of 2.5 (12 credits minimum),
- Enrolled in Introduction to Kinesiology (HMS 200), Field Work in Athletic Training (HMS 212) and Responding to Emergencies (HMS 310) courses.
- Enrolled in Anatomy and Physiology I (Bio Sci 202). (Earned grade of C or better prior to admission)
Students who meet the minimum eligibility requirements are invited to apply for admission into the ATEP. The application packet is distributed as part of the Field Work in Athletic Training (HMS 212) class. Admission is competitive, with class sizes ranging from 13-18 students. Selection is based on the following criteria:
- Performance evaluations and final grade in Field Work in Athletic Training (HMS 212)
- Academic performance
- Responsive essay
- Fulfillment of the Technical Standards for Admission
Additional academic requirement details can be found in the UWM Undergraduate Catalog
Due to the sequential and cumulative nature of the curriculum, transfer students must complete all of the Athletic Training Core courses at UWM. General education requirements, electives and professional core courses may be transferred in according to UWM guidelines. Acceptance of transfer credits is determined by the ATEP Director in consultation with the College of Health Sciences Assoc. Dean of Student Affairs, and Enrollment Services.