Doctor of Physical Therapy
Effective May 2012, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Doctor of Physical Therapy Program, will participate in the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS) program regarding the admissions procedure.The program will not accept paper applications.
For questions about the PTCAS please go to www.ptcas.org and watch for continued updates from the program.
Admissions to the DPT Program through PTCAS are due by:
- August 15 for Early Admission
- November 1 for Regular Admission
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the Selection Committee.
All application material will be submitted through PTCAS. The DPT program will accept observation hours recorded before May 1, 2012 on the hard copy form. These should be mailed directly to:
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Doctor of Physical Therapy Program - Admissions
PO Box 413 - Pavilion 350
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413
Observation hours recorded after May 1, 2012 must be submitted through PTCAS.
All students must apply to the graduate school and pay required admission fees once recommended for admission by the Program.
Admission to the program is competitive. UWM admits 24 students annually from many well-qualified applicants. Every qualified applicant is reviewed by our selection committee in the admission process. The qualified applicant to the UWM program has:
- A cumulative GPA calculated from all schools attended of 3.0 or better. The average GPA from the last two admitted classes was 3.50.
- A grade of C or better in all required prerequisite courses and a prerequisite GPA of 3.0 or better. The average prerequisite GPA from the last two admitted classes was 3.46.
- A Graduate Record Examination taken within the past five (5) years. The average GRE score is 61% quantitative and 64% verbal. The average written score from the last two admitted classes is 4.
- Well-written narrative responses to required admission questions. A well written narrative will demonstrate to the committee that the student has insight into the responsibilities of a doctoring profession.
- Strong letters of recommendation.
- Patient care experiences (observational experiences) supervised by physical therapists in diverse settings.
- Completed all requirements for Application.
To apply for the Physical Therapy Program, students should submit all required materials by August 15th for early admission and November 1st for regular admission.
Strong applicants are encouraged to use the early admission window. The DPT program will attempt to fill the class during the early admission window.
Physical therapists work with people of diverse backgrounds. UWM values diversity in its student body. No student may be denied admission to, participation in or the benefits of, or discriminated against in any service, program, course, or facility of the (UW) System or its institutions or centers because of the student's race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, or parental status.
If you feel you have been discriminated against in the admission process you are encouraged to follow the policies outlined at www4.uwm.edu/secu/docs/other/S49.7.htm