Cindy Clough, M.S., OT
Clinical Assistant Professor, Undergraduate Program Coordinator
Enderis Hall, Room 985
Phone: (414) 229-2630
Fax: (414) 229-5100
Occupational Science & Technology
- Ph.D. (in progress), Social Foundations of Education, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- M.S., Administrative Leadership, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, 2008
- B.S. Occupational Therapy, Minor in Psychology, East Carolina University, 1987 Honors: Magna Cum Laude
- Disability, Diversity, Race, Ethnicity, Culture, and Identity
- Going Beyond Inclusion: Providing Integrated Services in Schools
- Defining Sensory Integration and Sensory Processing
- Motor Development and Motor Learning: Implications for Practice
- Pediatric Assessment Tools
Interests & Expertise
Cindy’s occupational therapy career spans more than 25 years with 20 of those years being in direct practice settings. Although she has specialized in pediatrics and particularly school based practice, Cindy has also worked in adult rehabilitation settings including hospitals, long term care facilities, and outpatient settings. In addition to providing direct therapy services, Cindy served as the director of contract services for occupational and physical therapists contracted to ten school districts, and several home health organizations. Cindy completed her Masters of Science degree in Administrative Leadership for Pupil Services in 2008 and is pursuing her PhD in the Social Foundations of Education at UW-Milwaukee.
One of Cindy’s primary interests is the promotion of integrated services in public schools to provide full inclusion of all students in the school community. This interest includes teaching contemporary concepts of diversity which include disability, race, ethnicity, culture, and identity.
While pursuing an urban education doctorate degree, Cindy has also participated in research pertaining to school discipline systems and understanding the philosophical underpinnings of school discipline culture.
Irby, D. & Clough, C. (2014). Consistency rules: A critical exploration of a universal principle of school discipline. Pedagogy, Culture, & Society, DOI: 10.1080/14681366.2014.932300
Clough, C. (2011-present). Notes From Cindy’s Desk Newsletter. Bi-annual newsletter for pediatric therapists.
2015: Improving teaching and learning through enhancing cultural competence. Two day workshop with Derute Consulting
2015: West Allis School District, Motor development and theoretical considerations for practice.
2014: Providing Inclusive Services co-presented at CESA 1 Statewide School-Based OT/PT Conference and at Wauwatosa School District.
2014: Developpement de l’Enfant Et les Incapacitiés Infantiles. Presented at Healing Hands for Haiti, Port Au Prince, Haiti.
2014: Three day data retreat and full day school climate workshop with UWM education research team.
2014: Providing Inclusive Services in the Schools. Webinar for OT.Com.
2014: Disability is Diversity. Webinar for OT.Com.
Clough, C. (2013). Disciplinary Philosophies and School Culture: An Exploration of Teacher Beliefs and School Practices. Presented at the American Education Research Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA
Clough, C. (2012). Motor Development and Theoretical Considerations for Practice. Presented at Milwaukee Public Schools, Milwaukee, WI.
Clough, C. (2012). Use of the Sensory Profile. Presented at Penfield Children’s Center, Milwaukee, WI.
Clough, C. (2012). Defining Sensory Processing and Sensory Integration. Presented at the Wisconsin Occupational Therapy Association Conference, Madison, WI.
Clough, C. (2012). Understanding sensory processing and sensory integration. Presented at the Sensory Processing Disorders Parent Group, Milwaukee, WI.
Clough, C. (2012). The profession of Occupational Therapy. Presented at the Menomonee Falls High School Health Profession, Menomonee Falls, WI.
Clough, C. (2012). The profession of Occupational Therapy. Presented at the Waukesha High School Health Professions, Waukesha, WI.
Clough, C. (2011). Disability and Diversity: Changing How We Think and Talk About Disability. Presented at the Wisconsin Occupational Therapy Association Conference, Stevens Point, WI.
Clough, C. (2011). Evidence for Autism Interventions. Presented at the Wisconsin Occupational Therapy Association South Central District Conference, Madison, WI.
Clough, C. (2011). Using the Sensory Profile. Presented at New Berlin Therapies, Inc., New Berlin, WI.
Clough, C. (2011). Demonstration / training for use of the Miller Function and Participation Scales assessment tool. Presented at Milwaukee Public Schools, Milwaukee, WI.
Clough, C. (2010). Participation; A Model for School Based Practice. Presented at Wisconsin Occupational Therapy Association Conference, Milwaukee, WI.
Clough, C. (2010). Promoting Participation of All Students. Presented at Dominiczak Therapy Associates, West Bend, WI.
Clough, C. (2010). Introduction to the Miller Function and Participation Scales assessment tool. Presented at Milwaukee Public Schools, Milwaukee, WI.
Clough, C., & Streubel, L. (2009 November). Participation: A Model for School Based Practice. Presented at the Wisconsin Occupational Therapy Association Conference, Mequon, WI.
Clough, C. (2008). Transition of the Pediatric Patient to School Based Treatment Setting. Presented at Wisconsin Hand Experience Annual Conference, Milwaukee, WI.
Honors & Awards
- Service-Learning Instructor of the Year, 2015.
- Amy Tessmer Boening Scholarship, School of Education, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2014.
- Academic Staff Professional Development Award, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2012-2014.
- Certificate of Appreciation, Wisconsin Occupational Therapy Association, 2012.
- Chancellor’s Graduate Student Award, Department of Educational Policy and Community Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2010 and 2011.
- Friend of Education Award, Menomonee Falls School District Board of Education, 2010.
- American Occupational Therapy Association (Ongoing)
- Wisconsin Occupational Therapy Association (Ongoing)
- 2012 Conference Planning Committee
- Pediatrics Special Interest Section Co-chair (2009 to present)
- American Education Research Association (Joined 2013)
- Society for Disability Studies past member (2009-2010)
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI
December 2004 to
Dominiczak Therapy Associates, Brown Deer, WI
December 2004 to
Community Memorial Hospital, Menomonee Falls, WI
May 2005 to
New Berlin Therapies, New Berlin, WI
August 1995 to
Cedar Haven Rehabilitation Agency, West Bend, WI
Staff Occupational Therapist (1995-2000)
November 1989 to
Curative Rehabilitation Services, Wauwatosa, WI
January 1989 to
Columbia Hospital, Milwaukee, WI
January 1988 to January 1989
St. Vincent Hospital, Green Bay, WI