Kit Werner, Ph.D., RD, CD, CDE
Clinical Assistant Professor, Nutritional Science Clinical Director
Enderis Hall, Room 457
Phone: (414) 229-3121
Fax: (414) 229-2619
- Ph.D., Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- M.S., Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
- Dietetic Traineeship, Sacred Heart Hospital, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
- B.S., Dietetics, University of Wisconsin-Stout
- Diabetes Self-Management Strategies
- Medical Nutrition Therapy: Promoting Health and Wellness through Food & Nutrition
- Lifecycle Nutrition: (Preconception to Older Adult Nutrition)
- Food: Preparation, Principles, Procurement, Science and Safety
Interests & Expertise
Dr. Werner has held various positions within the all the core areas of dietetics (including clinical dietetics, community nutrition, and food service/systems management) and in various practice settings such as critical care, long term care, outpatient, and wellness. Her years of practitioner experience provide an expertise that she brings to the classroom and to future research activities. As a Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator her expertise includes diabetes self-management, medical nutrition therapy, nutrition counseling, lifecycle nutrition, food science, and food service management. She has a strong interest in the empowering individuals to grow their own food and/or purchase locally grown food, and to make food choices that positively impact their health at all stages of life. Dr. Werner is interested in the impact food systems, food marketing and food policies of the United States have upon the health and well-being of the nation. As the mother of four children, three who have graduated from college, she is very interested in learning more about how today’s college students enter, persist, and graduate from postsecondary institutions. She is also intensely curious about women’s experiences in higher education, especially those who pursue a bachelor’s degree in healthcare fields such as nutritional sciences.
Werner, K.I. (2012). A Qualitative Analysis of BSN Transfer Student Perspectives and Experiences. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI. Available from: http://gradworks.umi.com/35/08/3508234.html
Presentations at Academic & Professional Meetings
Werner, K. I. (2012). Lunch and Learn - Diabetes Information and Update. A guest speaker at the Clinical Staff Continuing Education Conference, Ministry Medical Group, Stevens Point, WI, March 13, 2012.
Werner, K. I. (2011). Diabetes Awareness Day, Rethink Beverages. An intensive, interactive mini diabetes education session at Saint Michael’s Hospital, Stevens Point, WI, November 9, 2011.
Werner, K. I. (2007). Good Habits for Living with Diabetes. A Guest speaker as part of the Weston/Saint Clare's Hospital Education Series, Weston, WI, September 19, 2007.
Honors & Awards
- Leadership Award, College of Health Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2014.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (member)
- Wisconsin Dietetic Association (past-Delegate)
Current and Previous Activities
- Registered Dietitian, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Certified Diabetes Educator, National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators
- Certified Dietitian, State of Wisconsin
- NUTR 245: Life Cycle Nutrition
- NUTR 101: Introduction to the Nutrition Profession
- NUTR 355: Modifying Nutritiion and Eating Behavior