Facilities: Labs, Clinics & Centers
Health Informatics & Administration
The Health Informatics Research Computing labs suite in the Department of Health Informatics and Administration (HIA) occupies two adjacent rooms in Enderis Hall with a total of 563 square feet (326 ft2 and 237 ft2).
The HIA labs suite also provides space for the College of Health Sciences Center for Biomedical Data and Language Processing (BioDLP), whose mission is to advance translational biomedical informatics towards personalized medicine. Research in the center is collaborative by nature, bringing together computer scientists, informaticians, linguists, and practicing clinicians.
The HIA labs suite has 10 PC's and 5 virtual Unix servers. The labs are also served by the UWM High Performance Computing (HPC) Service. The HPC provides computational resources to UWM researchers and their student assistants from the College of Health Sciences, the College of Engineering and Applied Science, College of Letters and Science, and the School of Freshwater Sciences. The HPC supports a large research cluster called "Avi" and a small educational cluster called "Peregrine."
- 142 compute nodes (1136 cores). Each node is a Dell PowerEdge R410 rack-mount server with two quad-core 2.67 GHz Intel Xeon X5550 processors and 24GB of system memory.
- One LSF scheduling node, a Dell PowerEdge R710 server, with two quad-core 2.67 GHz Intel Xeon E5520 processors and 24 GB of system memory.
- One IO node, a Dell PowerEdge R710 server, with two quad-core 2.67 GHz Intel Xeon E5520 processors and 24 GB of system memory.
- 7 Dell PowerVault MD1000 3Gb/s SAS attached expansion units providing 80TB of RAID 60 and RAID 10 storage. This storage is available to all nodes via NFS through the IO node.
- Each node has both a QLogic DDR InfiniBand (16Gb/s) and a gigabit ethernet network interface.
- 8 compute nodes (96 cores). Each node is a Dell PowerEdge R415 rack-mount server with two six-core AMD Opteron 4180 2.6GHz processors and 16 GB of system memory.
- One head node, a Dell PowerEdge R415 server, with one 6-core AMD Opteron processor and 16 GB of system memory.
- The head node houses a 3.6 TB ZFS RAID-Z array, available to all compute nodes via NFS.
- All nodes are connected by a dedicated gigabit ethernet network interface.
- Jobs are scheduled using the Portable Batch System (PBS).. a large research cluster called "Avi"
The HIA labs suite is equipped with tele and video conferencing facilities, which we will utilize for our collaborative work with the UCSC team.