skip to content

Applying for Semester-long Study Abroad and Exchange Programs

Required Materials
  • Online application:   Note: The CIE Study Abroad Office is currently transitioning to a new online application system. It will be available after August 1, 2011. The online application requires that cookies be enabled in your web browser. When you click the link, you should get a prompt asking you to accept a certificate. Click the button to accept (not examine) the certificate until you see a page titled "New Program Application." 
  • $250 deposit: This deposit includes a $50 non-refundable application fee (remaining deposit money applied to overall program fee). Your deposit, minus the $50 application fee, is refundable if you are not accepted into the program. Make check or money order payable to "UWM." Deposit refunds may take 2-4 weeks for processing.
  • Copy of unofficial transcript: UWM students, order online for free.  Non-UW-Milwaukee students must submit an official transcript from their home university (non-UWM students are not eligible to apply for exchange programs).
  • Academic recommendation letter: Most programs require two letters of recommendation for participation. These may come from professors, instructors or teaching assistants. At least one recommendation should come from someone qualified to comment on your academic achievements in your major area of study. Students on programs with a foreign language requirement must submit at least one recommendation from a university instructor currently teaching the language. If your host program also requires letters of recommendation, we will accept copies of those letters or recommendation forms in lieu of the UWM forms.
  • Student statement: This is a short essay. Please TYPE a one- to two-paragraph response to each of the questions provided.
  • Foreign language evaluation form: Foreign language competency is required for certain programs (see list below). Ask your language instructor or someone in the department's administrative office who you should ask to complete your evaluation. 
  • Academic Advisor Conference Sheet: You are required to meet with your academic advisor as part of your study abroad or exchange application process. We want to make sure that you have reviewed with him/her your degree requirements and coursework expectations while abroad and that you understand how your time abroad will fit into your path to graduation. THIS IS A FILLABLE FORM - DO NOT PRINT IT. Please email this (empty) form to your advisor or direct her/him to this website once you have arranged an advising appointment. S/He can type directly into the form and then print and sign it.

 Other requirements

  • Meet with a study abroad coordinator and your academic advisor before applying
  • Meet program specific GPA requirements
  • Purchase WI system-mandated CISI health insurance (the study abroad office will do this for you)
  • Art majors only: supply portfolio of previous work

Note: Each of the required materials must be submitted to the CIE Study Abroad office (Pearse Hall 166), and other requirements met, by the application deadline for your application to be considered complete. If you are sending application materials via expedited mail service (i.e. UPS, FedEx, DHL), please use our office's street address:

      CIE-Study Abroad Office
      University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
      2513 E. Hartford Avenue, Pearse Hall 166
      Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53211
      Telephone: 414-229-5182

Foreign Language Requirements

Four semesters of language or the equivalent and a completed language evaluation form are required for participation in the following programs:

  • Chile, ESSEC Business, ESA Architecture, MICEFA, Sciences Politiques, Paris Dauphine, Giessen, Hessen, Viadrina, Chiba, Seijo, Tec Monterrey, Guanajuato, Peru, Santiago de Compostela, Vigo, CIEE Seville.

Two semesters of language or the equivalent are required for the following programs:

  • Nanzan, Paris Advancia-Negocia, Paris IC, CIEE Seville.

You are personally responsible for scheduling an interview with a language professor to have your evaluation form completed.

Have a valid passport? If not, apply for one NOW! Passports are valid for 10 years; you should apply now even if you are only thinking about participating in a program.