skip to content

J-1 Exchange Student Information

Exchange (J-1 visa) students represent an component of UWM's relationships with many of the best universities around the world and play an important role in the internationalization of our campus.

Are You an Exchange Student?

Exchanges to UWM are only possible through a pre-existing exchange agreement between UWM and one of its partner institutions abroad. All exchange applicants must be nominated for exchange by the International Office at their institution. Exchange students receive J-1 entry visas to the United States and come to UWM for non-degree academic study only.

In an exchange program, a student from UWM and a student from a partner university trade places, with each student paying tuition at their home campus, plus any fees and room and board charges at the partner university. Your institution's International Office will be able to confirm if it does or does not have an existing exchange agreement with UWM. Depending on the agreement that has been signed, an exchange may be open to undergraduates only or for undergraduate and graduate students.

More Information

Welcome to UWM!

If you qualify to attend UWM as an exchange student, the following links will guide you through the application process. Current exchange students can also use the information on these webpages to deepen their connections to UWM and the Milwaukee community.

 To contact our office please email at or Sue Conway directly at