skip to content

Independent Internship, Study, or Research Registration Steps

UWM students planning for-credit (tuition-generating) or UWM-funded internships, study, or research abroad must register with the study abroad office.  There is a $100 administration fee (payable by check or money order to "UWM" or posted to your PAWS account) for this service.

Note: Global Studies majors, this information does not apply to you. Speak with your academic advisor for more information. Students receiving UWM funding to attend academic conferences abroad, this information does not apply to you.

Step 1: Meet with Academic Advisor and/or Department

Schedule a meeting with your academic advisor to determine that your experience abroad will be approved as counting toward your UWM degree program. Download and have your advisor(s) complete the following form:

Submit this form with the other documents listed under step three to the CIE Study Abroad Office.

Step 2: Apply via Host Organization

If applicable, contact the host organization to complete any paperwork required for official placement.

Step 3: Complete UWM Registration Documents

1. Download and complete these documents:

2. Complete online application

  1. Answer "yes" when asked if you are applying to a UWM-sponsored program, then select the appropriate term and hit submit.
  2. At at the top of the application that appears, select "Independent Internship, Study, or Research" from the pulldown menu under "1st Choice" (leave "2nd Choice" blank).

Note: The online application requires that cookies be enabled in your web browser. When you click the link, you should get a prompt asking you to accept a certificate. Click the button to accept (not examine) the certificate until you see a page entitled "New Program Application."

Step 4: Meet with a CIE advisor

Contact (; 414-229-5182) the CIE Study Abroad office to schedule an appointment with a staff advisor. The advisor will answer any questions you may have, discuss pre-departure planning (housing, immunizations, passport/visa, travel plans, etc) and review.

Following the CIE advisor meeting,  turn in a copy of your passport and the completed forms listed in steps 1 and 3 to the CIE Study Abroad Office.

Note: If you do not have a passport already, you should apply for one immediately. If you already have a passport, make sure it will not expire for at least six months after the end of your time abroad.  Your passport is not valid unless signed.