Graduate Application Requirements
In order for your application to be considered complete, you must submit the following the requirements:
1. Application: We strongly recommend that you fill out an application online at http://apply.wisconsin.edu. By submitting an online application, our office will be able to begin the processing of your application as soon as you submit it. One business day after you have submitted your application, you will receive an e-mail from the university, explaining how to check the status of your application on our PAWS online student information system, www.paws.uwm.edu.
2. Fees: All applications must include the application fee (AF), plus an evaluation fee (EF) for all applicants with education from outside the US. You can send a check or international money order, or pay the fees with a credit card at the same time you submit an online application. Master’s degree and PhD applicants – Total $96 ($56 AF + $40 EF).
*** Applicants to graduate programs in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences (CEAS) and the School of Information Studies (SOIS) only need to pay the $56 application fee. The $40 evaluation fee will be paid by the individual programs.
3. Academic Documentation: Original or officially certified copies of all grade reports for all post-secondary studies, as well as original or officially certified copies of all academic diplomas, certificates, and national or other major examination results.
Official records must be submitted in the native language and must be accompanied by an official English translation.
Photocopies, scanned or notarized copies are not accepted as official documents. Official records should be sent to ISSS Admissions directly from the institution, whenever possible. All academic documents submitted as part of an application become the property of UWM.
4. Reasons for Graduate Study: The Reasons statement is used to determine the appropriateness of UWM's programs to your educational and professional goals and serves as an example of your ability to express yourself in writing. In the statement:
- Explain your reasons for pursuing graduate study.
Describe specific interests and your background in the field.
- List any relevant skills or training you have acquired.
- List relevant academic awards or honors you have received.
- If your program requires recommendations, list the names of those individuals who will write on your behalf.
5. Proof of English Language Proficiency: Applicants for graduate study at UWM must meet one of the following for admission:
*Not every graduate program considers applicants for conditional admission. Applicants seeking conditional admission are responsible for contacting the appropriate Graduate Program Representative to ask whether the graduate program considers applicants for conditional admission.
1. TOEFL: UWM requires applicants to send official TOEFL scores from ETS electronically. UWM's school code for TOEFL is 1473. TOEFL scores cannot be more than 2 years old. Some graduate departments require a higher TOEFL score than the minimum score ranges listed above.
2. IELTS: UWM requires applicants to mail an official IELTS score report to the International Admissions Office. UWM requires applicants to mail an official IELTS score report to the International Admissions Office. IELTS scores cannot be more than 2 years old. Some graduate departments require a higher IELTS score than the minimum score ranges listed above.
3. Receipt of a baccalaureate or higher degree from UWM, or another approved institution where English is the sole language of instruction. International applicants also must meet the following criteria:
1) the degree must be earned within two years of your expected enrollment at UWM; and,2) the applicant must have attended this institution a minimum of 2 years.
6. Program Specific Requirements: Some graduate programs may require additional information. Please contact your intended graduate program directly to inquire about any additional requirements they may have.
After Admission: If admitted, applicants who expect to hold an F-1 or J-1 visa must provide proof of adequate funds to live and study full-time at UWM. Estimated costs of studying at UWM are included in the Proof of Funding Information Form.
SEVIS Transfer Information Form (for students transferring from another U.S. school)
**Please note - All documents submitted as part of an application become the property of UWM.