Friday, April 15
Introduction and Welcome
- Patrice Petro, Vice Provost for International Education
Panel: Theoretical Take Aways
Moderator: Patrice Petro, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- Ihab Hassan, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
"Manna in Academe"
- Kennan Ferguson, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
"The Fastest Food: The Ideology and Flavor of Futurism"
Panel: Taking It To The Streets
Moderator: Kris Ruggiero, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- Jessica B. Harris, Queens College, CUNY
"I'm Talkin' 'bout the Food I Sells!: Street Vending in the African Atlantic World"
- Jeffrey Pilcher, University of Minnesota
"'How to Sell a Tamale for a Thousand Dollars': The Transnational Origins of the Nueva Cocina Mexicana"
Panel: Media Matters
Moderator: Lane Hall, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- Anne Bramley, Food Scholar, Cookbook Writer
"Caxton, Cuisinavision, and Podcasting: Experiencing Food Through New Media"
- Tasha Oren, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
"Judge's Table: on Cooking Shows, Food Culture, and (not) Eating"
Panel: Global Food
Moderator: Jennifer Jordan, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- Manu Sobti, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
"The Last Apples of Kazakhstan: Modernity, Geo-Politics and Globalization in Central Asia"
- Randel Hanson, University of Minnesota-Duluth
"Anchoring Regeneration: Leveraging Eds and Meds in Rebuilding Local Food Infrastructures"
Panel: Food and Memory
Moderator: Gabrielle Verdier, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- Hasia Diner, New York University
"Food, Immigration and the Construction of Ethnicity in America"
- Cara De Silva, Journalist and Food Historian
"In Memory's Kitchen/In Memory's Kitchens: War and the Food of Dreams"