- About CIE
- International Admissions
- Study Abroad
- Office Information
- Getting Started
- Ready to Apply?
- Cost and Funding
- Getting Ready to Go
- Already Abroad?
- Welcome Back!
- Information for Special Students
- Information for Family & Friends
- Academic Programs
- Institute of World Affairs
- Immigration Information
Proposal Development and Approval Steps
A complete faculty-led program application consists of a number of items which may take some time to develop. To initiate a faculty-led program application, you are encouraged to:
- Familiarize yourself with the information on this website.
- Begin planning at least 12-14 months prior to the proposed program application deadline. Early program development and approval ensures sufficient time for you and CIE to effectively budget, plan, and market the program.
- Contact CIE’s office of Overseas Programs and Partnerships (414-229-5182, email@example.com) early in the development process for information and support on planning, budgeting, and timelines. This meeting will serve as an opportunity for you to ask any questions about the application process and allows CIE staff to provide feedback that may help to clarify and strengthen your proposal.
Required Proposal Materials
The next step is assembling a program proposal. A complete proposal consists of four parts:
- Completed and signed faculty led-program proposal form
- Course syllabus(Syllabus Example)
- Day-to-day itinerary (Iitinerary Example)
- Budget (Budget template; Budget completion instructions)--budgets should be updated every year with new costs
OPTIONAL: 1-3 digital pictures for use in advertising
Proposal Review and Approval
A faculty-led program is a collaborative effort not only between the program leader and CIE, but also between the leader and his or her academic department. Like all curricula at UWM, faculty-led programs should be viewed as offerings of both academic departments and individual professors. Early in the process, the leader should find out if the faculty in his or her department are supportive of the program and willing to promote it as part of departmental offerings.
Once your proposal is in final form, it should be submitted for review within your department or school. In each case, however, it should culminate with your proposal receiving approval and signature from your department chair and dean. Ideally they will be informed well in advance and this stage is merely the formalization of a prior understanding. You are then welcome to submit your completed proposal to CIE before the application deadline.
Review and approval procedures for faculty-led study abroad programs differ by school and college at UWM. It is your responsibility to understand and comply with your school's/college's procedures:
- College of Engineering and Applied Science
- College of Letters and Science
- College of Nursing
- Helen Bader School of Social Welfare
- Peck School of the Arts
- School of Architecture and Urban Planning
- School of Education
- School of Information Studies
- Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business