skip to content

Social Security Numbers


  • Have the on-campus employing unit complete the form “Letter of Offer for On Campus Employment,” which is available in the ISSS office in Garland 138
  • Return the “Letter of Offer for On Campus Employment” to ISSS and an ISSS staff person will complete a letter to verify your visa status & employment eligibility
  • You will then take both letters along with your unexpired Passport, F-1 or J-1 Visa, and I-20 or DS-2019 to apply


  • Take your unexpired Passport, J-1 Visa, DS-2019 and I-94

H1B Employees

  • You will need to present your I-797 approval notice
  • You will also need to present your unexpired Passport and H1B visa (if applicable)

In addition to the above documents all applicants will be required to complete and submit an application, Form SS-5, which can be obtained at the Social Security office and at

Take the appropriate above documents to the Social Security office located at 310 W. Wisconsin Avenue in downtown Milwaukee.  There are other Social Security offices in the Milwaukee area but the downtown office is the most familiar with your documents. 

Social security numbers take between two weeks and two months to be processed.

Remember to ask for a receipt of application from the Social Security Officer and show that receipt to the UWM Payroll Department so they may begin paying you before you receive your social security number.  When you receive your Social Security card you MUST be sure to inform Payroll of your new number.