skip to content

H1B Visa Status

Your Documents


Keep your passport valid at least six months into the future at all times.  Your country will have an Embassy or Consulate in the United States that will be able to assist you in renewing your exting your passport if it expires while you are in the U.S.


The I-797 is the approval notice of your H1B status.  It is one sheet of paper with two perferated sections at the bottom.  One part is for you to keep to indicate your status.  The other is your I-94 departure record which you will rescind as you leave the U.S. for a vacation or permanently.  To re-enter the U.S. you will need an H1B visa.


Your visa is your "ticket to apply for entry into the United States. Visa validity dates vary from country to country.  Do not panic if your visa expires while you are at UWM.  You will only need a new visa to apply for entry into the U.S. if you leave the country.  You will not be able to renew your visa in the United States.

If you return home or leave the U.S. and need to apply for a new visa please visit for information on applying for a new visa to re-enter the U.S.


LCA 9035

The LCA 9035 is the Labor Condition Application that UWM used as part of your H1B application.  A copy of the LCA will be given to you when you after your H1B status is approved. 


Your I-94 is the small white card stapled in your passport if you arrived in the U.S. in H1B status.  It is the U.S. Arrival/Departure Card and when you entered the U.S., the "Arrival" portion of the card was kept at the Port of Entry.  If you changed your status while in the U.S., the bottom portion of your I-797 will serve as your I-94.

Your I-94 will be date specific for the end date of your H1B status.  If you terminate your employment with UWM your I-94 will no longer be valid.