skip to content

Inviting International Scholars

International advisors can assist academic departments in determining the appropriate visa category to use for international colleagues visiting the campus to collaborate on research or teach.   Visiting Scholars in residence typically stay at UWM anywhere between 3 days and 5 years.

Scholars staying longer than 3 weeks and being paid by UWM or another funding source typically apply for a J-1 visa. A DS-2019 Request Form explains and initiates this process.  UWM is required to report to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security via SEVIS certain data on the J-1 visiting scholar. It is critical that the academic department keep the international advisor informed about the scholar's anticipated arrival date and assist the scholar in checking in with the office of International Student and Scholar Services so that an orientation can be arranged.
Visitors staying less than 9 days who may be paid an honorarium or reimbursed for expenses may apply for a B-1 or B-2 visa respectively.  Visitors for Business and Tourism explains the process and a sample invitation letter is provided.

The U.S. does not require citizens of some countries to apply for a visa to enter the U.S.  These countries are included in the Visa Waiver Program and someone entering the U.S. on the Visa Waiver Program receive the status of W/T or W/B (Waiver for Tourism or Waiver for Business).  The same rules for honorarium and reimbursement for expenses for B-1 visitors apply to W/B visitors.  For more information on Visa Waiver countries please visit the Department of State website.