International Travel Health Insurance
Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) offers comprehensive insurance coverage for international travelers, to include accident and health, medical evacuation and repatriation. CISI is NOT travel insurance, so cannot be used to cover the cost of cancelled travel, lost luggage, and the like.
Purchasing CISI insurance is not required, but strongly encouraged for the following individuals:
- faculty and assistants employed by UWM who conduct research abroad;
- faculty and staff attending international conferences;
- faculty and staff conducting sponsored site visits abroad; and
- faculty and staff serving as part of an official UWM delegation abroad.
CISI has developed a special international health insurance plan for students on UW-System university study abroad and exchange programs. UWM faculty and staff on official university business abroad also qualify for coverage. For others, CIE determines eligibility on a case-by-case basis. Others may include: NCAA and club sport athletes; band and student organization members; non-credit educational tour participants sponsored through UWM School of Continuing Education; Fulbright and other grant-funded group projects.
If you are unsure about your eligibility, you should submit a report with the following information to CIE's study abroad office no later than two weeks before your scheduled international travel (hand deliver to Pearse 166 or e-mail to email@example.com):
- Travel dates
- Destination/s (include day-to-day itinerary, if available)
- Purpose of trip
- Relationship to UWM
Following receipt of eligibility applications, CIE, in consultation with UWM's Legal Affairs and Risk Management offices, reviews applications to determine eligibility. Review criteria include:
- the endeavor's alignment with UWM's mission;
- its potential benefit and whether the university is able to ensure adherence to legal and risk management principles; and
- whether an agent of the university is associated with the group as an advisor.
Following review, CIE will contact applicants with an eligibility decision. CIE eligibility decisions are final and may not be appealed.
Questions? Contact the CIE study abroad office: 414/229-5182 | firstname.lastname@example.org