skip to content

Inter-institutional Agreement Types

Please review UWM's Guide to International Academic Program Collaborations for more detailed information pertaining to the process for establishing and different types of international partnership agreements. Following are some of the more frequently-used agreements:

Memorandum of Intent (MoI) | Template
This agreement is used to establish an initial ceremonial relationship with an international partner university or organization. The MoI template agreement is non-binding, and does not result in any fiscal, programmatic, or other commitments of any kind. Unique review and signature guidelines apply only to the template MoI agreement (see UWM partnership policy S-33.5).

Student Exchange
Reciprocal agreement that allows UWM students to study at a partner institution abroad in exchange for an equal number of partner institution students studying at UWM. While abroad, UWM exchange students typically pay UWM tuition, a CIE program fee, and room and board at the partner school. Partner campus students receive a tuition waiver while at UWM, but pay UWM segregated fees and room and board. Sustainable student demand for placement at each partner campus is essential to the long-term success of student exchanges.

Study Abroad
Agreement with a domestic or international university or organization that results in CIE "adopting" certain study abroad programs and promoting them to UWM students on a non-exclusive basis. Study abroad agreements typically define enrollment guidelines and may offer program cost discounts or scholarships. Study abroad students pay a comprehensive program fee, but not UWM tuition while abroad.

International Admissions
Agreement with an international partner university that allows their students to enroll at UWM for a portion of their studies. Participating students pay full out-of-state tuition, UWM segregated fees, and room and board while studying at UWM.

Dual Degree
Agreement that allows students to complete the requirements for a degree from both institutions. Efficiencies in course taking are possible and each institution is primarily responsible for its own degree. Students are awarded diplomas from both UWM and the partner institution upon completion of their coursework.

For additional information on these and other agreement types, as well as possible templates, please contact: 

     Garett Gietzen
     Assistant Director for International Partnerships, Center for International Education  |  414-229-4368