skip to content

Travel Information for International Students and Scholars

Please pay careful attention to your documents when you plan to travel outside the U.S. and re-enter to the U.S. You should consider the following before any travel.

Is my passport valid?

Your passport must be valid at least six months into the future to enter the U.S.  If you plan to renew your passport at home please check about renewal times before you travel so that your return to the U.S. will not be delayed.

Do I have the appropriate visa for my status?

If you have changed your status while in the U.S. you will need a new visa to re-enter.  If you re-enter in your old status, the new status you have obtained through a change of status in the U.S. will be cancelled. 

Is my visa valid for re-entry?

Please make sure your visa is valid to re-enter the country.  You must consider the expiration date of the visa and the number of entries you have remaining on your visa.  The letter "M" indicates multiple entries that are not limited.  Some visas have a number for entries.  Please speak with an advisor to determine if you have entries remaining before travel.

Do I need signatures for travel?

Students and scholars on F-1 and J-1 visas need a signature on their I-20 or DS-2019 for travel.  Please plan to have your documents signed at least one week before travel.  You may also bring your most recent I-20 or DS-2019 to walk-in advising Monday-Thursday 10am-12pm & 2pm-4pm (Garland 138) and meet with an Immigration Coordinator for a signature while you wait.

If you have H1B status you must travel with your approval notice form I-797 and their your approved LCA Form 9035 available from an international advisor.  If you changed your status to H1B in the U.S. you will need to apply for an H1B visa to re-enter the U.S.  Please speak with an international advisor before traveling so that your documents may be reviewed.