- About CIE
- International Admissions
- Study Abroad
- Academic Programs
- Institute of World Affairs
- Immigration Information
- Useful Information
J-1 Visa Status
The staff of International Student and Scholar Services greatly appreciate the many contributions you bring to our campus and we would like to support you while you pursue your research and teaching goals at UWM.
In order to maintain your visa status you must
- Keep your documents valid
- update your address with ISSS
- pursue the research or teaching that is indicated on your DS-2019
- secure employment authorization from ISSS before accepting additional or alternative employment
- depart from the U.S. within 30 days from the end date of your DS-2019
If you have questions about your visa status please do not hesitate to ask an international advisor during a walk-in advising time or an individual appointment. Our job is to assist you with questions about your visa status so that you may focus on your research and teaching.