skip to content

J-2 Dependents


Dependents for visa purposes are spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21.  Dependents of J-1s hold J-2 visa status and can apply for a visa and travel independently from the J-1 visa holder. 

J-2 dependents are permitted to study full-time and may apply to immigration for employment authorization.  However, when applying for employment authorization the J-2 dependent must demonstrate that the employment authorization is for the purpose of cultural and/or professional enrichment, NOT for financial purposes.  The J-1 visa holder must have sufficient funds to support the J-2 visa holder and J-2 requests for employment authorization may not be the result of financial need.

Dependent Request Form

J-2 Work Authorization