- About CIE
- International Admissions
- Study Abroad
- Getting Started
- International Health Insurance
- Coming Home
- Academic Programs
- Institute of World Affairs
- Immigration Information
The U.S. will continue to issue passports, even after the federal government has shut down, the State Department said Monday.
"As of ( Tuesday October 1, 2013 ), we are processing routine applications in an average of 4 weeks or less from the time of application. As of ( Tuesday October 1, 2013 ), we are processing requests for expedited service in an average of 2 weeks door-to-door, when overnight delivery is requested and paid for both ways (to and from the passport agency)." (http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/processing/processing_1740.html)
At this time the CIE Study Abroad Office is recommending that all students apply for their passports as soon as possible and expedite their passport if they are traveling on a UWinteriM program that requires a visa. These programs include: Ghana Africology and India SARUP.
To apply for your passport please visit: http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html. If you have any questions please contact your study abroad coordinator or the study abroad office.
A passport is an official document issued by a government, certifying the holder's identity and citizenship and entitling them to travel under its protection to and from foreign countries. Applying for a passport is fairly simple. Processing can take up to six weeks. Therefore, it's important to get started well in advance of travel.
Applying for a Passport
Step-by-step passport application instructions are available online. For general information call the Passport Information Number, 1-800-ASK-USPS (275-8777). Passport applicants should appear in person at one of the locations listed below and present the following items:
- If you are a natural-born citizen, a birth certificate which is certified with the State or County seal and indicates your name and where and when you were born or a previous passport. (Note: Registration of birth from hospital is not acceptable.)
- If you are a naturalized citizen, your original naturalization documentation or a previous passport.
- Two identical passport photos that are 2" by 2" with a light background. (The CIE study abroad office offers passport photo services. See below.)
- An official identification document with your picture, description and signature, i.e. valid driver's license, school, job or State ID or previous passport. Your social security number must be written on the application.
- Cash, money order or check made out to "Department of State" in the amount of $135.00.
- Allow up to six weeks for processing.
Renewals for adult passports are required every 10 years and cost $110.00. The renewal form and information can be picked up at a post office. It is typical to renew adult passports through the mail.
Milwaukee-area Passport Acceptance Facilities
Post Office - Shorewood Branch
1620 E. Capitol Drive
Shorewood, WI 53211-9998
Juneau Station Post Office, Milwaukee, WI
606 East Juneau Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53202-9998
Milwaukee Main Post Office
345 West St. Paul Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53201-5066
Milwaukee, WI, County Clerk
901 N. Ninth Street
Milwaukee, WI 53233
North Milwaukee Station, WI, Post Office
5995 N. Teutonia Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53209-9998
North Shore Branch Post Office
5651 N Lydell Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53217-9998
Expediting Your Passport Application
If your departure date is sooner than 4 weeks away, and you have not yet begun the application process, you should expedite service. Average processing times are currently near the 3 week time frame.
Call (312) 341-6020 and listen for the expediting prompt. Make sure you write down the confirmation number and time of appointment. The phone number listed above is automated. They automatically set the appointment for you. You must appear at the time stated, otherwise you lose your spot.
You must go the Kluczynski Federal Building, 230 S. Dearborn Street, 18th Floor, Chicago, IL 60604 for the appointment.
You must bring the following:
- 2 identical passport photos
- Driver’s license—Must be valid!
- State Certified Birth Certificate (This cannot be a hospital certificate. It must have an embossed seal-original).
- $135.00 for the passport & $60.00 for the expediting fees=$195.00 total.
- Bring something, preferably your social security card, along for additional identification and/or reference of your social security number
- Proof of travel—itinerary or airline ticket
- Make sure you have all pertinent information. Failure to provide proper identification could hold up the process.
The CIE Study Abroad Office provides passport photo services. Photos are of professional-quality and printed on government regulation paper. This service is available in Pearse Hall, Room 166 from Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Processing takes less than 30 minutes.
- 1 Photo - $5.00
- 2 Photos - $ 8.00
- 4 Photos - $13.00
- 6 Photos - $18.00
- 8 Photos - $23.00
- $5 per additional set
Note: Payment by personal check or money order only, payable to "UWM." Cash and credit cards will not be accepted.
Additional Passport Information
Once abroad, it is recommended that you carry a copy of your passport with you at all times, as police and other authority figures have the right to ask for your identification at anytime. It's important to photocopy your passport and keep the copy separate from your passport. If you lose your passport, having a photocopy will greatly expedite replacement. It's also important to make sure your passport will not expire for at least 6 months after the end of your international study program. If it does, you may be denied entry an entry visa.