skip to content

Financial Aid Resources

The Study Abroad Office works closely with the UWM Financial Aid Office to help you finance your program. All students are eligible for financial aid consideration including loans, grants, scholarships, or any combination of the three. If you have never applied, or received aid before, you may be eligible for special consideration because you are going abroad. If you would like to apply for aid specifically for an education abroad program you should fill out the federal FAFSA application as early as possible

If you are considering studying abroad, you are strongly encouraged to meet with a financial aid advisor to evaluate your performances before submitting an application to the Study Abroad Office to ensure that you are financially able to complete the program.

Financial Aid Advising Sessions

  • Tuesday, February 11, 10am - 11am, Garland 104

  • Thursday, February 13, 12pm - 1pm, Garland 104

  • Wednesday, February 19, 4pm - 5pm, Garland 104

  • Monday, February 24, 9am - 10am, Garland 104

  • Tuesday, February 25, 2pm - 3pm, Garland 104

  • Friday February 28, 1pm - 2pm, Garland 104

  • Thursday, March 6, 9am - 10am, Garland 104

  • Wednesday, March 12, 4pm - 5pm, Garland 104

  • Thursday, March 20, 3pm - 4pm, Garland 104

These sessions will be led by a financial aid advisor, specifically regarding study abroad. This is a great opportunity for you to learn about how financial aid can make studying abroad possible.

Financial Aid and Study Abroad or Exchange Programs

 The Study Abroad Office provices a budget to the Financial Aid office for all UWM study abroad programs and exchanges. This budget demonstrates the estimated expenses for your particular program and allows Financial Aid to consider additional expenses not covered in your program, such as airfare, in-country transportation, and personal expenses. Your financial aid package is thus based on a very individualized analysis of your financial situation taking all of these factors into account.  

All students on study abroad or exchange program will have their aid package re-evaluated on an individual basis. Based on this evaluation, students may be eligible to receive an increased amount of aid, usually in the form of loans. Students participating on non-UWM sponsored programs who wish to use financial aid must meet with their study abroad advisor to discuss an individualized budget for their chosen program.

For maximum consideration of all available funds, you should send your completed FAFSA (or FAFSA Renewal for continuing applicants) to the Federal Processor by the priority application filing dates published by the Financial Aid Office.

When you return from a semester or year-long program, your grades may not be immediately reported, in which case you would receive an email or written notification from financial aid stating that you are in "Warning" or "Ineligible" status.  You do not need to contact the financial aid office or the Study Abroad Office if you are in "Warning" status. You will still receive your financial aid for the semester and the "Warning" status will be lifted as soon as your grades are reported.  If you receive an "Ineligible" status message please contact your coordinator and/or the Financial Aid Office 

Financial Aid Authorization Form

Upon being accepted to a program, you will receive a packet of forms that will include a form from the Cashier’s Office called the “Financial Aid Authorization.” The authorization form is the means by which students notify the Cashier's Office if they will be using their financial aid to help finance their program. Federal regulations do not permit UWM to automatically apply financial aid funds that are awarded to all of your study abroad program fees.  This form must be filled out and handed in the UWM Cashier's Office (Mitchell Hall 285) in order to have your financial aid to pay for all of your program fees.  This form can also be found on the study abroad forms page.

Disbursement of Financial Aid

Financial aid funds are distributed through the UWM Cashier’s Office (Mitchell Hall 285) and NOT through the Financial Aid Office. If your expected financial aid funds are higher than the fees you will owe, you will receive a check in the mail from the Cashier’s office for the difference. If the aid you receive is less than the amount owed for the study abroad or exchange program it is your responsibility to ensure that your program is paid in full.

FERPA Release and Power of Attorney Forms

If you are relying on parents, relatives or friends to help manage your finances and property while you are away you may need to grant them the power to manage your accounts such as to sign for financial aid checks, make deposits or transfers on your behalf, etc. The Power of Attorney form gives your permission to do this. The FERPA Release gives your permission for the study abroad office to share a variety of information about your UWM attendance (Finances, Registration, Health, and Study Abroad Info) with parents, relatives or friends. If you are arranging to have help while you are away, please sign and return these forms to the study abroad office.  These forms can be found on the study abroad forms page.

Veteran's and Study Abroad Programs and Exchanges

The Center for International Education encourages individuals receiving veterans’ benefits to explore UWM's many education abroad opportunities. Depending on the kind of education benefits a veteran receives, all or some of their study abroad fees may be paid.  Because legislation relating to veteran benefits has changed frequently in the last few years, UWM veterans interested in studying abroad are encouraged to be in contact with staff in the UWM Military Education Benefits Office ( to find out how their benefits can be applied to study abroad.

Additional Funding Opportunities

In addition to federal and state aid, grants and scholarships (such as the WI Study Abroad Grant) are available for international study opportunities. Please visit the scholarships page for a compiled list of scholarship opportunities and other funding sources.