skip to content

Information for Special Students

Non-UWM Students

The Study Abroad Office welcomes non-UWM students to apply to many UWM-sponsored study abroad programs. Non-UWM students are not eligible to apply to UWM exchange programs.

Non-UWM students are registered as visiting UWM students and receive a Panther Access to Web Services (PAWS) account. Program fees are charged to this PAWS account, from which students can make online check, debit and credit card payments. All program application application and payment deadlines apply to non-UWM students. Non-UWM students who enroll in a UWM study abroad program automatically have a hold placed on their account to ensure payment. Once payment is made full, contact the Study Abroad Office and ask for the hold to be removed so you may order your official transcript.

Employer Benefits

The Center for International Education (CIE) encourages individuals receiving employer benefits to study abroad. Study abroad programs and non-UWM programs are not tuition-based. They are based on a program fee for the entire program. UWM exchange programs are tution-based. For study abroad and non-UWM programs this is usually a very important distinction to keep in mind if your employer is paying for your tuition because these programs will not generate tuition.

If you're participating in a study abroad program, your program fees will be posted to your PAWS account in four different categories:

  • Academic Expenses
  • Faculty Expenses
  • Student Expenses
  • Study Abroad Fees

Academic expenses are in lieu of tuition and include faculty salary and any additional academic fees related to your program. Faculty expenses include your share of the program leader's expenses such as flight, lodging, transportation, insurance etc.. Student expenses include student expenses that are not academic in nature such as flight, lodging, transportation, excursions, insurance, meals etc.. Study abroad expenses include administrative fees that are charged by the Study Abroad Office. This explanation should help your employer establish which fees might be covered by your employer benefits in lieu of tuition.

Employer benefits and tuition reimbursement policies vary from employer to employer. You can use the charges listed on your PAWS account to inform your employer about program fees that may be covered. We highly encourage you to meet with your employer to discuss their specific requirements for your employer benefits prior to submitting and application for a study abroad program.

Veterans Abroad

The CIE encourages individuals receiving veterans' benefits to explore UWM's many education abroad opportunities. Depending on the kind of education benefits a veteran receives, all or some of their study abroad fees may be paid. Because legislation relating to veteran benefits has changed frequently within the last few years. UWM veterans interested in studying abroad are encouraged to be in contact with staff in the UWM Military Education Benefits Office ( to find out how their benefits can be applied to study abroad.

Students with Disabilities

If you have any health, physical or learning disabilities which would require special assistance during your study abroad program, you should contact your health care provider, your study abroad coordinator and the Student Accessibility Center at UWM. Please inform the Study Abroad Office at least 60 days prior to your program departure date about any health, physical or learning difficulties for which you may need accommodation. If special assistance requests are not received at least 60 days in advance, we may not be able to accommodate your request. In all cases, even if requests are received on time, we cannot guarantee that your request can be accommodated.

For more information, Mobility International USA ( and has many resources for people with disabilities (cognitive, hearing, learning, mental health, physical, systemic, vision, and other disabilities) pursuing international travel and exchange.

Non-Traditional Students provides information for non-traditional study abroad students.

LGBT Resources