The University strives to create a positive, safe, and healthy environment for all of its students. Students are responsible for understanding and support of University policy and are expected to uphold and abide by the community standards established by the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and the UW System.
These expectations begin when a student first enrolls at a UW System school and continue throughout her or his academic career. Some of the conduct rules apply even during school vacations and off campus. These rules are found in the UW System Administrative Code which applies to all UW campuses and students. They are commonly referred to as UWS 17.
Non-Academic OffensesExamples include, but are not restricted to:
- Conduct which constitutes a serious danger to the personal safety of other members of the university community.
- The sale or delivery of a controlled substance as defined by the Wisconsin Uniform Controlled Substance Act (Ch.161, Stats.), or the possession of a controlled substance with the intent to sell or deliver.
- Conduct that seriously damages or destroys university property or attempts to do so. Stalking or harassment.
- Conduct that obstructs or seriously impairs university-run or university-authorized activities.
- Unauthorized possession of university property or property of another member of the university community.
- Knowingly making a false statement to any university employee or agent on a university-related matter.
These rules cover a wide range of prohibited acts including both individual and group behavior on university property. These regulations include provisions concerning:
- Traffic and parking regulations
- Use of ID cards
- Possession of University keys
- Alcoholic beverages and drugs
- Carrying firearms
- Unauthorized peddling
- Use of sound amplifying equipment
- Unauthorized demonstrations, picketing, rallies, and other assemblies
- Other prohibited acts
For a complete listing of all policies documented in Chapter UWS 18, "Conduct on University Lands", along with non-academic disciplinary procedures, obtain the booklet "Student Conduct Regulations and Disciplinary Procedures" from the first floor lobby of Mellencamp Hall or contact the Office of Student Life, Mellencamp 118, 229-4632. The following is specific information on a few major regulations The information provided may not include all provisions but is intended as general information only.
- Smoking There is no smoking on campus except in designated smoking areas and outdoors.
- Weapons No person may carry, possess or use any dangerous weapon on university lands or in university buildings except with the written approval of the chief administrative officer or for law enforcement purposes. No person may display or portray as real any object that resembles a dangerous weapon on university lands or in university buildings or facilities except with the written approval of the chief administrative officer. Dangerous weapons maybe confiscated and removed from university lands by police.
- Vandalism No person may break, tear up, mar, destroy or deface any notice, tree, shrub, flower or other vegetation, or dislocate any stones, or disfigure natural conditions, or deface, alter, destroy or damage in any way any other property, real or personal, within the boundaries of any university lands.
- Bicycles No person may park or store his or her bicycle in buildings, on sidewalks or driveways, or in motor vehicle parking spaces, except in areas designated for that purpose or in bicycle racks. Bicycles shall be parked so as not to obstruct the free passage of vehicles and pedestrians.
- Skate Boards, Roller Skates and Roller Blades No person may
skateboard, roller skate, or use roller blades or any other similar wheeled
device in university buildings. UWM provisions designate all areas exterior to
campus buildings and structures as areas where roller skates and roller blades
may be used with regard for pedestrian and vehicular traffic. The use of skateboards
is not allowed on any property at UWM.