University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee

Grievances, Complaints, and Appeals

UWM has a number of processes to address grievances, appeals and complaints.

Here are the processes that students most commonly utilize.  If you do not see a process, contact the department directly to inquire more about their process.  You can also contact the Dean of Students Office to point you in the right direction. 

Academic Disputes:  

Academic departments hear complaints, grievances, and appeals related to academic matters.  This may include adding, dropping, and withdrawing from courses as well as grade appeals and complaints about courses.  Procedures for these issues are set by the School or College, unless they involve allegations of academic dishonesty outlined in UWS Chapter 14. 

If you have a concern within your academic department contact the person from the appropriate School or College listed below for more information:

Harrassment, hate or bias concerns
Office of Equity and Diversity Services
414-229-5923, or fill out a report

Concerns/issues involving another student
The Dean of Students Office
414-229-4632 Report violence, harrassment, threats, theft, drug or alcohol usage and other heath and safety concerns to

Residence Hall concerns
University Housing 414-229-4065 Appeals related to housing contracts or other matters in the Residence Halls.

Parking Tickets
Parking and Transit 414-229-4000 Or file an appeal

Issues with your supervisor for an on-campus job
Student Employment Grievance Process on Page 18 of the employee manual.
This process is administered through the Dean of Students Office    

General Advocacy, Complaints, Appeals, and Grievances
You can contact the Dean of Students Office at any time.  We provide assistance by listening to your concerns and connecting you to the appropriate resources and processes to ensure that you receive a fair and equitable consideration.

If you need assistance or if you have a complaint, comment, or suggestion, please fill out our contact form or visit our office in Mellemncamp Hall, room 118.