English as a Second Language (ESL) Programs at UW–Milwaukee
The University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee (UWM) offers several ESL programs to assist students to improve English proficiency for university study in English. Or choose ESL at UWM to improve your English for professional or personal goals.
Before starting university study:
- Choose the Intensive English Program to gain the level of English proficiency required before beginning academic study.
- Do you have conditional admission to UWM? Enroll in the Intensive English Program to achieve the English proficiency required for academic study.
- Choose ESL Writing Courses for credit to fulfill the undergraduate general education requirement (GER) in English.
- Do you have dual admission to UWM? Come to the ESL Office, Curtin 672, to discuss course options.
- Choose ESL Writing Courses to improve your proficiency in writing.
- Choose the non-credit Spoken English for Academic Purposes course to improve speaking and presentation skills.
- For an international teaching assistant whose native language is not English, take the MITAA and Spoken English for Academic Purposes course if necessary.
UWM is a public university of the State of Wisconsin and is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The Intensive English Program is also accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation
The English as a Second Language Program also has membership in the Consortium of University and College Intensive English Programs (UCIEP) and Study Wisconsin.