Online degrees, programs, and courses at UWM
Requirements for offering new online degrees and programs
- Prior approval by UW-System and the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association is required for new online programs or conversion of existing programs
- Approval procedure for online programs
- All distance education programs are subject to a five-year joint-review process similar to all new programs
Frequently asked questions about online courses and programs
- General and frequently asked questions
- Frequently asked questions from students
- Frequently asked questions from instructors
Types of eLearning courses
- Web-enhanced: courses delivered face-to-face but incorporating a course Web site with online resources and learning activities.
- Hybrid/blended: partially online courses where significant portions of the learning activities are online and face-to-face classroom time has been reduced.
- Totally online: courses delivered fully online with no physical presence required on campus.
Library resources for eLearning
- Faculty/staff eLearning support
- Electronic reserve
- Distance education
- Ask a librarian
- Library home page
eLearning technology delivery systems
- Desire2Learn (D2L): The Web-based course management system used for eLearning at UWM and other campuses in the University of Wisconsin System.
- Wisline Web: A Web-conferencing tool used for online synchronous audio and video sessions.
- Compressed video: The system used for two-way audio & two-way video and requiring like-equipment at all sites. For information on this system as well as other technologies such as cable and broadcast TV, satellite broadcast, etc., please refer to pages 15&16 of the Technology & Media Resource Guide.
eLearning support for faculty and teaching staff
- Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL)
- CETL workshops
- Accessibility and universal design
- Classroom support for technology-equipped classrooms
- Reservations for technology-equipped classrooms
UITS technology support for faculty and teaching staff
- Help Desk/solution center
- Production and rich media support
- Short Courses: applications and software/technical
- Basic computer security: tips and information
- UITS home page
Resources for legal issues