Ask The Panther
Ask any financial aid question and get answers right away!
View top ten »

Study Abroad Students

If a student's enrollment in a program of study abroad is approved for credit by UWM, the student may be eligible for financial aid. All students pursuing a study abroad program (UWM sponsored or non-UWM sponsored) should work with the Center for International Education to make sure all the necessary forms are completed. Some students may receive additional funding to help pay for the increased costs associated with studying abroad. However, the additional funding is usually in the form of loans.

The only grant program specifically targeted to study abroad students is the State of Wisconsin Study Abroad Grant. Students may have to rely on PLUS or Private Educational loans to help them finance this opportunity. Students receiving credit, but traveling on a non-UWM study abroad program, need to submit a Consortium Agreement to be considered for any type of financial aid for that term/semester.