Ask The Panther
Ask any financial aid question and get answers right away!
View top ten »

Student Employment - Federal Work Study Program

Federal Work-Study provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students which allow them to earn money to pay educational expenses. Students are employed under Federal Work-Study, Federal Work-Study Community Service, or the Federal Work-Study America Reads/America Counts program. These programs are a form of financial aid. A FAFSA application must be completed to be evaluated for these programs. A student must have financial need and be enrolled in 1 credit or more.

Federal work-study awards are not disbursed in one lump sum.

Students work an average of twelve to fifteen hours per week, earning between $7.25 and $14.50 per hour, depending on job duties, skills, knowledge, and prior job experience. Jobs are posted on the Campus Jobs database. Students are paid bi-weekly by the State of Wisconsin, through the University. Payroll checks may be picked up at the Cashier's office (Mitchell 285) or directly deposited to a financial institution. The UWM Payroll Office (Engelmann Hall Room 260) should be contacted for additional information and assistance.

Federal Work-Study jobs are available on or off-campus for students that have been offered and accepted Work-Study. A dynamic and diverse campus and community offers students employment opportunities that few universities can match.

Federal Work-Study Community Service is similar to regular Federal Work-Study except the jobs are with non-profit community service organizations. Community service jobs help improve the quality of life for community residents, particularly low-income families.

Federal Work-Study America Reads / America Counts encourages student employees to become a tutor for preschool and elementary children. Participants in this program will help eradicate illiteracy and improve math competency while helping children develop the skills they need to succeed.

Work-Study Award Amounts

  • Award amounts are semester specific. A student may earn up to the maximum amount indicated on their PAWS offer.
  • Remaining semester award balances are not automatically carried over to the next semester. A request can be made to "carry over" unearned fall Work-Study funds to spring semester, although there is no guarantee this can be granted.
  • There are no carryovers of unearned spring semester award balances into the summer.
  • There are no carryovers of unearned summer session award balances into the fall.
  • Students are only paid for the amount of hours that are worked based on their hourly wage.
  • 2014-2015
  • Fall: August 24, 2014-January 10, 2015
  • Spring: January 11, 2015, 2014-May 16, 2015
  • Summer: May 17, 2015-August 22, 2015
  • 2015-2016
  • Fall: August 23, 2015-January 9, 2015
  • Spring: January 10, 2016-May 14, 2016
  • Summer: May 15, 2016-August 20, 2016
  • Based on university and Federal Work-Study Program guidelines, individual employing departments decide what hourly wage they will pay student employees.
  • Use the following equation to determine the number of hours per week you can work without going over your award:
Award / Hourly wage = Total number of hours
Total hours / Number of earning weeks = Number of hours per week
  • Federal Work-Study recipients are not assigned to a Work-Study job. They must apply to the employer for any of the job titles that interest them.
  • Students may apply for, and be hired at, more than one position.
  • Students that already have an on-campus non-Work-Study job or a job with an off-campus non-profit service agency or organization, are encouraged to contact our office. Our office may be able to help use a Work-Study award with a current employer.
  • If a student has been offered a Fall/Spring Federal Work-Study or Community Service award, and is not working at a job 30 days after the start of Fall classes, awards for both the Fall and Spring semesters will be removed from their financial aid.

  • Notify our office to request the option of keeping a Spring award.
  • Spring only awards will be removed if a student is not working within 30 days after the start of Spring classes.
  • Summer awards will be removed 30 days after the start of the first summer session if the student is not working.

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards

Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards as defined by the Financial Aid Office to maintain Work-Study eligibility. See Academic Progress Standards.