/Users/tgrenke/Desktop/side pics/currentregister_3pics
Admission Requirements

Admission to the University (Degree-seeking and Non-degree)

A student may be admitted to UWM through a variety of programs, however, it is in your best interest to apply for the proper status with the proper application to ensure being admitted to the University in a timely manner. Staff in the Office of Adult and Returning Student Services (OARSS) will be pleased to help you decide on the proper way of applying if you have questions after reading our website.

Admission Requirements
  • Degree-seeking
    Consistent with the information given under the previous section on this web site (Pre-Admission Advising & Services), you may apply to a degree program as a New Transfer, a New Freshman, a Re-entry Student to UWM, a Second Undergraduate Degree or New Major, or apply to the Graduate School. There are different admission standards for these students, so it is important to review those sites. There are also different categories and different admission standards for students who want to apply as University Special students, and these are outlined below.

  • Non-degree
    You may apply for non-degree status as a University Special Student (undergraduate only) through OARSS, or as a non-degree graduate student through the Graduate School. University Special Students who choose to only audit courses must have a high school diploma (or GED) and have been out of high school for at least two years to be admitted.

    Summer and UWinteriM Guest students need to be in good academic and financial standing at their home institution in order to apply.

Academic Dean's Office
The Office of Adult and Returning Student Services (OARSS) serves as the academic dean's office for University Special Students, Summer and UWinteriM Guest students, and Audit-only students. OARSS hears student appeals for late withdrawals, registration, adds, and drops.

Information about a Major/Program
If you are interested in receiving specific information about UWM's programs or talking to an advisor in a specific program, please contact the UWM school/college that offers the program in which you are interested (listed below). If you are not sure which school/college houses a particular major or program, please view Academic Departments and Degree Programs for a complete listing of UWM's programs.

Specific Major Information For: Phone
College of Health Sciences 414-229-2758
School of Architecture and Urban Planning 414-229-4015
Peck School of the Arts 414-229-4763
Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business 414-229-5271
School of Education 414-229-4721
College of Engineering and Applied Sciences 414-229-4667
School of Information Studies 414-229-4707
College of Letters and Science 414-229-4654
College of Nursing 414-229-5482
Helen Bader School of Social Welfare 414-229-4852