Child Welfare Training Program 
Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) Option

Program Description

The Child Welfare Training Program (CWTP) in the Helen Bader School of Social Work works with the Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare to improve the educational qualifications of its employees. It does so by providing financial assistance to help employees earn degrees in social work. Until now the program has focused on the MSW degree, but a new option, the CWTP-BSW program, supports BSW students as well.


To be eligible, students must

  • Be current or prospective social work majors,
  • Be currently enrolled in or have completed SocWrk 100 and SocWrk 206.


Students admitted to the program will receive the following:

  • Tuition and fee payment  (in-state),
  • Up to $300 of annual mileage reimbursement to and from home visits,
  • A book allowance each semester they are enrolled in full time study.


If accepted into program students must

  • Sign an agreement that commits them to accept employment in the Initial Assessment division of the Bureau for at least one year after graduation,
  • Follow a special, child welfare-oriented curriculum,
  • Have access to a vehicle for use in their field internship and maintain the ability to drive in Wisconsin. 


To qualify for graduation, students must meet all other requirements for a Bachelor of Science in Social Work at UWM.  Graduation requirements include:

  • Minimum of 42 credits in the social work major
  • Minimum of 120 total college credits, including all degree requirements
  • Cumulative UWM grade point average or 2.0 or better
  • Maintenance of a B average or better in social work methods and field courses


Acceptance into the Social Work Major

Applicants to the Child Welfare Training Program must be accepted into the Social Work major at the time they apply or during their first semester in the program. This requires that they:

  • complete all English and math requirements,
  • achieve Junior standing (58+ credits),
  • remove any high school math deficiencies,
  • have attended UWM for at least one full-time semester, or its equivalent,
  • achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher, including transfer work,
  • complete 75 hours of documented volunteer experience or paid work in the human services field.

Applications to the major are accepted February 1-March 1 or September 1-October 1 of each year. Applications materials are available from the reception desk on the 11th floor of Enderis Hall or from this website:  http://www4.uwm.edu/hbssw/useful_forms.cfm.  Be sure to print off the application, volunteer experience documentation and supervisor reference forms. 


Applying for the CWTP-BSW

To apply to the CWTP-BSW, you must submit an application form. In addition, you must have one letter of reference from a college level classroom teacher. Click on the respective hyperlinks to open a copy of the application form or letter of reference form. Applications for the CWTP-BSW must be received by December 5, 2011.


Additional Information

For further information contact:
Mary Heller, Program Assistant
UWM School of Social Welfare
(414) 229-4895


Funding for the CWTP is contingent on the continuation of federal and state funding. Students should always have backup funding plans.