Graduate Certificate Options

School Social Work

In order to provide social work services in a Wisconsin public school system, individuals must be licensed by the Department of Public Instruction (DPI). The requirements for licensure are established by DPI. At UWM, the Department of Social Work in the Helen Bader School of Social Welfare is an approved program. UWM School of Education works with us and is responsible for verifying material and transmitting the application for licensure to DPI. UW-Madison is the only other graduate program in the state that offers a school social work certificate program. Additionally, graduates with an MSW can take the new DPI requirements for school social work certification as graduate, special students. More ...

Certificate in Applied Gerontology

In conjunction with the Center for Aging and Translational Research and the UWM Graduate School, we offer a certificate in Applied Gerontology. Gerontology is an expanding area for social workers at all levels of practice. The certificate builds on the requirements of the gerontology concentration and includes additional, inter-disciplinary coursework. We have also just piloted a field program in gerontology that exposes students with interest in aging services to multiple agencies and types of services. More ...

Certificate in Nonprofit Management

Partnering with the Helen Bader Institute for Nonprofit Management, we offer social work students the option of additional coursework for a certificate in nonprofit management. This certificate builds on our requirements in “macro” methods (community and organizational practice) and is for graduate students primarily interested in organizational leadership and management roles. More ...

Substance Abuse Certification (SAC)

Certification of Substance Abuse Counselors is granted by the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, not the Helen Bader School of Social Welfare.  However those MSW students who are interested in Substance Abuse Counselor certification are able to meet DRL’s pre-certification educational requirements by enrolling in the Behavioral Health Concentration and successfully completing a specific list of required courses.  Click here for additional information. More ...

Certificate in Public Health

The Public Health certificate is designed for students and working professionals involved in health programming, evaluation, education policy, engineering administration, research and other areas related to public health. This program allows students to create a customized academic plan with a variety of courses and learning formats to meet their professional needs and interests.

The 15-credit program requires courses in each of the five core disciplines: epidemiology, biostatistics, health administration and policy, social and behavioral health and environmental health. Coursework must be completed within three years.

For additional information visit the Certificate in Public Health web site or contact Carrie Von Bohlen, 414.229.2313, or email asknursing@uwm.edu

Request Information