University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee

University Housing

alterra glory banner


No one told me the policy violations, what are they?

You signed a Contract to living in University Housing stating that you agreed to all the rules and regulations of University Housing. You were also rendered a Resident Handbook upon your move-in date which goes in to explicit detail of all of the policies. If you lost your handbook, please ask the service desk of Sandburg, Riverview, or Kenilworth for additional copies.


Back to top

What is the RPO and what is my RPS?

The RPO stands for the Residential Programs Office which is located in C120 of Sandburg (across from the mailboxes). The Residential Program Staff (RPS), the supervisors of each tower in Sandburg, work here. Kenilworth and Riverview have on site offices. These individuals supervise your Resident Assistants in addition to having other University responsibilities. There are also Graduate Students and other student staff members who work within the RPO who oversee Media Services, The Green Room, Security, etc. The RPO also processes any incident reports that are written within the Sandburg Complex. Kenilworth and Riverview incident reports are processed in each respective buildings.


Back to top

When is the RPO open?

The RPO’s business hours are Monday- Friday 8:00am-5:00pm. The phone number is (414)229-5712. It is located in C120 across from the mailboxes on the first floor of Sandburg, RiverView and Kenilworth residents can make appointments at their buildings service desk..


Back to top

Who can I talk to with questions about a situation I was documented in?

A student always has the right to schedule a meeting with the RPS. If you were documented within University Housing you will be receiving a letter in the proceeding business days. If after that letter is sent you still have questions or action on your part was required in the letter please call or stop by the office so that we may assist you.

Back to top

I didn’t do anything, why am I getting a letter from the RPO?

If you received a letter from the RPO you, your roommate, or your suitemates were documented by a University Housing staff member. It is possible that you were not present during the incident, but you are being informed of what happened and any follow up that is needed.


Back to top

Do I really have to do what this letter from the RPO says?

It is important that you comply with all letters from the RPO, in addition to other University offices. If you do not respond within a timely manner to letters sent to you you may face additional sanctioning.


Back to top

Can I talk to my RPS right now?

RPS are available by appointment only and must be schedule at least 24 hours in advance. If you have an emergency, please contact Sandurg Security at (414) 229-6123 (located next to the Main Desk) for immediate assistance.


Back to top

Why do I need to check my mailbox?

It is in your student handbook that University Housing will deliver documents to your mailbox, and it is your responsibility to regularly check it. If you are having difficulty with your lock combination please see the Main Desk for assistance.


Back to top

I was assigned a Judicial Educator and it doesn’t work. What do I do?

First, check to see that you are using Internet Explorer. If you do not have Internet Explorer please utilize a Computer Lab (there is one located on the 3rd floor of Sandburg). Second, make sure that all of your pop-up blockers are disabled. If after that time you are still having difficulty, contact the Residential Programs Office at (414) 229-5712.


Back to top

My roommate and I aren’t getting along, how do I move?

Every year conflicts and disagreements may arise in your assigned room/suite. There is a detailed process in place to assist residents in such situations. A resident must first speak with his/her Resident Assistant/Community Assistant so that the process can start. After that conversation, the Resident Assistant/Community Assistant may refer a resident to a different person/place in the process.

*Special Note: If you are in fear of your immediate safety please contact the RPO during business hours or Security after hours so that you may be assisted (if in Sandburg). Kenilworth and Riverview residents should call the respective main desk for assistance.


Back to top

Why can’t my parent/legal guardian talk to my RPS?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. 1232b; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of resident education records. Additional details can be found here.

In accordance with FERPA guidelines, University Housing administrators will not share any resident information, other than directory information, with anyone outside the University system. This includes, but is not limited to, information about a resident’s grades, behavioral history and action, health concerns, current whereabouts, and financial information. (If the person requesting information is a guarantor on the resident’s housing contract, certain financial information can be given.)

Exceptions to this Act, regardless of age, will be made in life-threatening situations. University administrators within the University system may decide to share information about residents on a need-to-know basis.

Residents who choose to waive their rights to privacy may fill out a Release of Information form, which can be found in the Residential Programs Office in Sandburg C120. If you are unable to arrive in person please call the RPO at (414)229-5712 and staff can assist you.

Back to top