Move Out Guide 2013
University Housing residence halls close at 6:00 PM on Saturday, May 18th 2013 (6:00 PM on August 18th for Kenilworth). Residents are asked to check out within 24 hours of their last final exam, but no later than 6:00 PM on May 18th. Please browse the menu on the left for more move out information.
Top 10 Things to do prior to checking out:
1. Schedule your check-out time with your RA to avoid the $75 improper check-out fee.
2. Pack up all items. We encourage you to start packing up prior to finals as that week can be stressful. Also, due to limited parking and supplies during move out it is often easier to move small loads home prior to move out.
3. If you have a loft, disassemble it and store it under your bed. The room should be returned to the same condition and arrangement it was in when you moved in.
4. Remove all items from your walls. Remove any tape, poster putty, etc. from walls and wash the marks off the walls. All spills/splashes must be wiped off walls, ceilings, heating units.
5. Clean and dust all furniture surfaces, including:
- Closet shelves
- Outlet covers
- Drawers in desk and dressers
- Windows: sill, panes, tracks
- Bed frame
- Under the bed
- Heating and A/C units
- Kitchen and bathroom cabinets
- Fridge and Freezer (top and inside)
6. Wash out waste baskets and place them on top of your desk. Clean all common areas of your suite. Empty out all kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Clean the toilet bowl and walls in the bathroom area. Clean out fridge and freezer, and stove top. Wash out kitchen trash can and place on top of kitchen table if applicable.
7. Sweep and clean tile floors. Please do not sweep debris into hallways or stairwells. Vacuum all carpeted areas within the suite. When vacuuming, you are responsible for the 4-foot area (left and right) outside your suite.
8. Donate unopened non-perishable food items, clothing and small appliances.
9. Clean out your mailbox and update your forwarding address information prior to check out.
10. Submit any necessary work orders for all damages or repairs needed in your room or suite at www.fixit.uwm.edu
11. Close your blinds and windows. Turn off lights and lock your room and suite door. Return your keys and enjoy your summer!
Late Departure & Summer Housing Available
If you need to stay a few days after the building closes, you must submit a Late Departure Request Form no later than May 1, 2013. Your form must be returned to the University Housing office (Sandburg C100). Be aware that late departures may not be available in some locations. You may also be asked to switch rooms even if you are staying just a day after the building closes.
Late departures are limited to 2 nights at a rate of $35/night.
Because of the campus steam shutdown, there will be no hot water in Sandburg during the week after the building closes. Separate shower rooms will be available for limited use during that week. See the Sandburg Service Desk for keys to those rooms during steam shutdown.
If you need to stay past May 20, you must complete a summer contract. Summer Contracts can be accessed here.