University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee

Department of Human Resources

Office Hours:
7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Office Location:
Engelmann, Room 125
Campus Map

Contact HR:
Phone: 414-229-4463
Fax: 414-229-4102

Graduate Assistants

There are three types of graduate assistantships: Teaching Assistants, Project Assistants and Research Assistants.

Teaching Assistants
A teaching assistant is an enrolled graduate student who is regularly assigned teaching and related responsibilities (other than manual or clerical responsibilities) under the supervision of a faculty member.

Project Assistants
A project assistant is an enrolled graduate student assigned to conduct research, training, administrative responsibilities, or other academic or academic support projects or programs—except regular preparation of instructional materials for courses, or manual or clerical assignments—under the supervision of a member of the faculty or academic staff.

Research Assistants
A research assistant (RA) is a UWM graduate student working toward a master's or Ph.D. degree. An appointment as an RA is appropriate if the activity performed by the RA is primarily for the benefit of the student's course of study and directly applicable to the student's research, thesis, or dissertation.

You can obtain more detailed information about graduate assistantships by visiting the UWM Graduate School website.